jdkskyking

HWH ACTIVE AIR SYSTEM

Hello

We’ve got a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z. It is our first Class A Diesel Pusher... it’s our first RV period. 

I have never driven any other RV. The closest experience I have is driving a big U-Haul moving truck. 

With nothing to compare how the coach drives and rides I’ve never felt like it was very good. I started reading and researching what I could do to improve how the Freightliner XC carried this box down the road. I’ve changed shocks, added sway bars, SuperSteer SS100 Bell Crank, SuperSteer Trim Unit, SuperSteer Motion Control Units. It has a Safe-T-Plus Steering Control and I’ve put six new Michelin 255/80R 22.5 on it... oh, and aligned the steering. 

I’ve driven it from Arkansas to Colorado and back and most recently to Minnesota and back. Both trips had weather challenges with wind and the MN trip was in the pouring blowing rain. My wife says I looked like a NASCAR driver with a bad setup constantly sawing the wheel. 

I’m still researching and trying to determine what else I can do to help the suspension with handling. I’m going to get all four corners weighed and ensure I’ve got the load distributed within reason AND I’m going to verify the ride height is adjusted to the recommended Freightliner specifications. I’m also going to zero in on tire inflation if I’m well under max load, I can probably back off a bit on the pressure. 

I’ve stumbled across the HWH Active Air Suspension System and am very interested in what it can do for this coach. I’d gladly spend the money if it will truly improve the handling and ride but I can’t afford to upgrade to a newer coach with newer technologies. 

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with the HWH System?

Does anyone have any advice or ideas that might help my mission?

I’d appreciate any help I can get, I can’t imagine this coach’s ride is as good as it can get. 

Thank you, JK

JD. 

Did you have the front and back of coach, checked for Alignment, before installation of the STP ?  I used that system on a 07 WB Tour and it was night/day change in handling!  Have never used Bell Crank on a DP only a gas with Chevy chassis!  Would think one is negating or fighting the other...

I did have the front end aligned with the STP installed. I need to have it checked with the new tires. 

The SS100 bell crank improved the steering control by reducing the play and enhances the STP's ability to add additional stability to the steering system. 

I need to find a shop that can check alignment front and rear. I haven't had great luck with local Freightliner shop. 

I did measure the front ride height valve position. I believe 10" frame to shock bolt center is correct from Freightliner. Mine is a strong 10 3/4". From what I've read that means the front airbags are over-inflated. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

18 hours ago, jdkskyking said:

I did measure the front ride height valve position. I believe 10" frame to shock bolt center is correct from Freightliner. Mine is a strong 10 3/4". From what I've read that means the front airbags are over-inflated. 

Yes, I would adjust the ride height back to factory spec. Same for any coach.  Yes, be sure to have safety stands in place before fooling with the ride height adjustment!

re: total alignment; I had a local HDT repair shop do the alignment on mine. Any shop that aligns transit bus's is qualified for MH chassis too.  The rear axle was off by 3/4", the Reyco-Granning  IFS specs were not correct in their alignment computer and a test drive at highway speed uncovered the error. I downloaded the Reyco-Granning service/alignment specs and gave them tot shop owner, who immediately had our MH re-aligned using the factory specs. The second test drive  was steady and comfortable steering. I completed my handling/steering improvement with the addition of new Bilstein shocks and reset ride height(which should have been done prior to alignment per Spartan, Reyco-Granning)