Sign in to follow this  
bud_crosthwait@hotmail.com

2012 Thor Astoria 36MQ - 2 Water Heaters?

We just purchased a 2012 Thor/Damon Astoria 36MQ that has the washer/dryer combo in the bedroom closet.  It appears, from the outside covers, that we have 2 water heaters in the coach. One near the back passenger side corner, which is right by the washer and dryer, and the other on the driver's side by the kitchen sink.  I cannot find anything in the manuals the selling dealer gave me about this & the "technician" who did the walk thru at pickup was useless.  My question is, does the rear water heater just supply hot water for the washer or is it for the rest of the coach too?  Is it activated on the switch panel at the same time the other water heater is activated, so both are on at the same time?

There is a switch with a red indicator light above it that is unlabeled mounted on the cabinet directly below the closet holding the washer and dryer.  I saw in another thread that this switch may be for a block heater for the diesel engine but I'm still not sure.  I can't find anything on this switch either and I am wondering if it has anything to do with controlling this second water heater.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Switch in closet with red light is for block heater.  The rear grate or lowers is for the venting of W/D combo!  Just like in a house.  You only have one water heather!

7 hours ago, bud_crosthwait@hotmail.com said:

We just purchased a 2012 Thor/Damon Astoria 36MQ that has the washer/dryer combo in the bedroom closet.  It appears, from the outside covers, that we have 2 water heaters in the coach. One near the back passenger side corner, which is right by the washer and dryer, and the other on the driver's side by the kitchen sink.  I cannot find anything in the manuals the selling dealer gave me about this & the "technician" who did the walk thru at pickup was useless.  My question is, does the rear water heater just supply hot water for the washer or is it for the rest of the coach too?  Is it activated on the switch panel at the same time the other water heater is activated, so both are on at the same time?

There is a switch with a red indicator light above it that is unlabeled mounted on the cabinet directly below the closet holding the washer and dryer.  I saw in another thread that this switch may be for a block heater for the diesel engine but I'm still not sure.  I can't find anything on this switch either and I am wondering if it has anything to do with controlling this second water heater.

Any help would be appreciated.

Like Carl, l I think the switch with a red indicator light above it is for the block heater.

But I think the vent on the driver's side by the kitchen sink is most likely your furnace. Easey to check just turn your furnace on and see if it is blowing hot air. The one in back is probably your water heater. Take the cover off and look. Some of the combo washer dryers don't have a vent to the outside. 

Bill

Bud, Welcome to the FMCA  Forum !

The Owners Manual covers most of Systems, do you have one? This is a link to get a PDF copy!

https://media.thormotorcoach.com/media/6098/2012-astoria-owners-manual.pdf

It is 142 pages and covers the operation and systems quite well. The last page list the Contact information for THOR. 

Page 15- in the owners manual lists all the contact phone numbers for the suppliers used to build the Coach.

WATER HEATER SWITCH-There is no reference to water heaters - Just where the water heater switch is located depending where they where placed depending on the Model.

The water heater start switch is located on the wall in the galley, bathroom, or monitor panel area. The light illuminates when the switch is turned on. The light goes off when the burner is on and the water is heating. If the light comes back on, the burner is not yet lit. It may take several tries to light the water heater burner. When the element is turned on the red light will glow. Be sure the tank is full of water before using.

Rich.