F450705

Parking brake flashing on and off

Hi Folks,

My parking brake brake flashes on and off as I'm driving down the road, and in turn, my top door latch engages, then disengages, etc . I have an '06 Travel supreme, and this extra door latch engages when the parking brake is released. (It uses air from the brake system to push this plastic wedge into place at the top of the door to reduce noise). It started every time I would hit a bump, but now it happens in spurts.....it sounds like a machine gun at the top of the door as the plastic wedge fires up and down in concert with the brake light flashing on and off. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, any resolution? Just trying to see where to start looking.....Thanks all!

Brian Claar

Brian, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The problem showing up in the parking light and door latch are both air driven and cycle at the same rate, if I'm reading your post correctly.

Does the problem only happen when you are driving or also when you are parked? Sure sounds like a leak in one of the 1/4 in. air line systems or connection. Soapy water or kids bubble soap sprayed on the lines and connections cause bubbles to form at any location with a leak. 

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply! It only happens when I'm driving. It started earlier in the year when I would hit a bump on the highway, where the parking brake light would flash on and then off......now it flashes on and off rapidly,  along with the door latch, but not all of the time. The fact it started when I hit a bump makes me think it's a loose connection? 

Brian

Thanks all for the replies! I have not purged the air in my tanks since I've owned the coach...5 years. At least I have a place to start and try to get this sorted out. Thanks again everyone. 

23 minutes ago, F450705 said:

Thanks all for the replies! I have not purged the air in my tanks since I've owned the coach...5 years. At least I have a place to start and try to get this sorted out. Thanks again everyone. 

5 years is way to long between purging intervals.  If it has been that long - IF your coach is equipped with  an air dryer, you should have it replaced !

Not all coaches have air dryers and in that case the air tanks should be purged every 6 months at the least. 

The chassis service center should be able to show you how to perform the task. Not a big task on most coaches - like 5 min. or less.

Purging removes the water from the primary and secondary air tanks, water in air systems can cause a number of issues!

Rich.

The air dryer should have a purge valve on it also. May not be your problem, but is definitely a good starting point. It was also a good opportunity to bring to attention that it should be done routinely, some of us older owners take it for granted that newer owners may not have been versed on this procedure.

I now wonder what else, you have not done in 5 years?  What is the DOT number on your tires?  How about belt on engine, hoses.

3 hours ago, Sundancer268 said:

Any possibility the pressure switch or the connection to it could be going bad?

Could possibly, but with air brakes one needs to always perform the routine maintenance items first, purging air tanks and air drier is a routine item but many rv'ers  have either never been versed on the importance of those items, or have done it so infrequently that they forget that it is a must, and many times is the actual culprit. Merry Christmas to you and yours.:lol: