Sign in to follow this  
mypopslou

Fault Dead Battery Charge

Had not driven Motorhome for 2 weeks and when parked turned coach battery off but did not plug in. Went into coach yesterday and turned coach battery on and received the above message on my panel, fault light was on and it was reading Dead Battery Charge with it showing 3.2 volts. After being plugged in for several hours it read 3.5 volts but would not charge any higher and everything in coach was inoperable. I figured it must be like a golf cart if the batteries go too low they need a jump to get the charger going. None of the normal systems that come on when you plug into 50 amp came on.

I connected my trickle charger for my car to the positive on battery number 1 and negative on battery number 4. Almost immediately everything came on as it should have when I plugged in initially. System ran for about 12 hours to completely charge batteries and then shut off and all is good.

I am concerned that the batteries depleted that much in two weeks with the batteries shut off and that it took a jump to get going again.

Is this normal?

Appreciate your thoughts

Either you do have a bad battery (or batteries) OR there is some parasitic load that the battery disconnect did not disconnect.

Do you have a voltmeter with amp/ammeter function?  If so, you can trace the possible parasitic load pretty quickly.

Manholt, I have a button to turn inverter and charger on but when i hit battery disconnect they go off automatically, and yes it is an all electric coach and batteries have been replaced once already and are less than 2 years old