richard5933

24v to 13.8v Converter for Headlights

7 hours ago, RayIN said:

Richard it looks like you intend to run all new wiring to the headlamps, which is a great idea as wiring can deteriorate over time and create higher resistance...

Eventually, perhaps. I tested the wiring, and it all tested good so far. It is all protected from weather, heat, and sun and I didn't see anything that was of concern. That said, it's on my list to install upgraded wiring between the converter panel and the headlights. At 13.8v, the halogen sealed beam headlights draw just under the 10a max on the 16ga wiring - not an ideal situation but it will work.

In my earlier testing, the resistor panel was the choke point (just like in your cartoon). Proper 24v system voltage going in, but not proper 12v+ coming out. Even with the engine running and chassis voltage at about 27v, the output from the resistor panel was only 11.9v. That's no where near enough to properly power sealed beam halogen lights. My suspicion is that the resistors themselves have started to break down and have increased resistance.

Whenever possible, I like to make changes incrementally so that I can do binary testing along the way. Change everything at once and you never know exactly where the problem is/was and you don't know which upgrade actually solved the problem. By just changing the resistor panel to the converters, I can easily compare the results between the two (I'll post photos showing the results).

Like many vehicles, the factory installed wiring that was barely up to the task at hand - they used 16 ga wiring for the headlight system. With 24v headlights that might have been okay, since the current draw is lower on 24v systems, but when they installed the resistor panel to use 12v headlights they should up upped the wiring in the final few feet in front of the resistor panel. That final few feet is where I'm going to focus when I start upgrading the wiring. At least they had the wisdom to install the resistor panel as close to the headlights as possible (it's about 12" from the driver's side headlights, and about 6 feet from the curbside headlights).

My plan is to eventually run 12ga wiring forward of the converter panel to the headlights. That should provide a good buffer for an eventual upgrade to higher power headlights later on. Or, another option is to use something like the Cibie headlamps, which use modern halogen replaceable bulbs. If I do this I can get 24v bulbs and eliminate the converter panel altogether, and since 24v systems have a lower current draw the wiring once again becomes a non-issue.

34 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Richard, nice workmanship! 

Thanks. Mom always taught us that neatness counts. And she was right - especially in wiring things like this. I hate opening a compartment and seeing a tangled mess instead of something that can be easily understood or worked on. I try to make sure that the next person needing to work on this system can easily understand what I've done.

The final electrical connector arrived today, so I was able to get the last pieces installed. I was waiting for the correct plug so that the new panel would simply plug into the harness in place of the old one.

I'm going to call this project a success. So glad that I finally have enough light to drive safely at night.

I have ordered some properly colored & striped wire to do some upgrading to the wiring, and eventually once that's done I can re-evaluate my options for installing updated headlights which are better than the sealed beams. But for now, this is a huge improvement.

20190419_214843.jpg

20190419_142800.jpg