joemar1112@yahoo.com

LP Gas System Operation

Guest Wayne77590

Yes, it is, in my opinion, okay to run the LP going down the road. I do it all the time and it keeps the refrigerator going. Although it has been stated that once a refrigerator is cold, it will maintain an acceptable level for about 8 hours. I just don't like to test that theory unless absolutely necessary. You need to pay attention to tunnels and signs that state propane must be turned off. If you see a sign, pull over, turn the propane off, and then proceed. You can turn it back on several miles or a few hours down the road.

As to the water heater, I don't turn it on until we park and then it is usually on electric, but if I need a quick heat up after a few showers, I'll turn both the electric and LP for the water heater on. Our coach has a water heater assist that allows the engine to heat the water as we travel down the highway. It takes about 100 miles for the water to get "toasty."

I don't think you should be cooking moving down the highway so the stove would be off.

You do not have any information in your profile or your posts as to what year/make/model your coach is, so answering any specific questions regarding your operation would be difficult. You may want to put something in your profile or signature.

The answer is that all your propane appliances are designed for use while driving. Not sure I would use stove while driving though!

Is there a small incremental risk-- sure. But most of us find the risk WELL within an expectable range.

This ASSUMES you use kiddie soap bubbles (then rinse with fresh water) to check all propane connections at least annually.

It also assumes that you turn off ALL PROPANE APPLIANCES while fueling (turning off the propane is NOT the same, as the igniters will still spark if the appliance controls says "light my fire".

I would suggest that you are much more likely to have problems from food poisoning if you travel many hours with the refrigerator off than to have a problem caused by a propane system in good repair.

BTW, not sure what you mean by propane fueled "heat strips". Heat strips are resistance heaters in your 120 VAC A/C's.

Brett