Sign in to follow this  
Scotialaddie

Blue Ridge Parkway in a Class A

Question

Planning our next route.... We're heading north from Pigeon Forge TN to Delaware.     We were thinking of traveling up the Blue Ridge Parkway in our 38' Class A.   Some say don't do it... has anyone done it in a large rig?  Where did you stay?   Best stops?

Or maybe just drive on 81 North ...  any favorite stops/towns, campgrounds?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Others may feel differently, but to me a trip on the Blue Ridge parkway in an auto or on a motorcycle is beautiful, but anything over 30 ft., is not the way I'd go, especially towing. Welcome to the forum and wishing you many happy tales and trails.

I agree with Kay. Two problems exists, tunnel heights and you won't easily find a place (pull-outs) to stop that will accomodate a motorhome and towed vehicle. 

It is a beautiful drive, just not in a motorhome.

The tunnels are a major concern. The web site for the  Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnels gives good information.  They used to provide a ranger to stop the flow of traffic so higher vehicles could use the center of the tunnel. I don't think they do that anymore and advise to detour around the tunnel.

Check the web site.

I have taken short burst's of BRH, mainly in the Galax, Va area.  I'm 100% with all the above!  DO NOT  DO IT !!!

We drove the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2013 in a 32' Bounder towing a Suzuki Samurai. We camped at campgrounds on the Parkway. Since then we have a 36' Country Coach and have driven parts of the Parkway and stayed in a couple of the campgrounds on the Parkway. 

We drove the blue ridge (started a mile 0) with a 38' class A with a tow in 2017. We just took our time and enjoyed the scenery, even had a snow out in one area.  Had to get off right before Asheville because of tornado damage, so went around to Cherokee and after a few days drove in the car back on the section we missed. The tunnels from Cherokee to Asheville are the shortest, no problem with any of the other ones.  Camped along the way in one of the parks, no problem.  They have a good map of where you can cam with a big rig.  As stated we took it slow and enjoyed it, weekends are busier so more difficult to pull over. 

What rd before Ashville?  Cherokee is 62 miles from Ashville, towards Atlanta, GA on the Interstate....I'm very confused.  I have very good friends, that live of off 151, 9 miles North of the BRP by Elk Pasture turn off, no rv's off any length allowed.   That's like taking a coach on the "Tail of the Dragon!"