Sign in to follow this  
Butch39

Campground(s) in the Detroit/Dearborn Michigan area

Question

We are planning to trip to the Detroit/Dearborn Michigan area to visit the Henry Ford Museum and Dearborn Village. We are looking for campgrounds in the area, have looked in reference material and online but none look to promising. So we are requesting others to enlighten us on your experiences or knowledge on the subject of cgs.

Also requesting info on the travel route through Canada from Niagara Falls to the Detroit area, or maybe the Port Huron area would be a better choice for the crossing back into the USA. Looks to be a more direct route and bypasses all the large US cities on the US travel route. But Note: We must have bad luck as we have crossed the Canadian border twice in the last fifteen years and both times our vehicles were checked out from top to bottom. Makes one not want to travel into Canada.........

4 answers to this question

Butch, theres a KOA called Detroit-Greenfield KOA.

* Address: 6680 Bunton Road, Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197

* Phone: +1 734 482 7722

Now I don't know if their still there. It is close to Greenfield Village. The nice thing is, you won't have to drive across town with the traffic to get to

G.V. Marvh

If you're going into Canada anyway, you might want to stay at a campground in Windsor though you have to be back and forth across the border to visit Detroit. We were there in May of 2008 and enjoyed the stay at Windsor Campground. It is not too far from the Windsor airport. The campground is well maintained and there were plenty of sites available.

We really love that area of Canada. The homes and landscaping are really quite special. The route through Detroit to Niagara Falls is 245 miles according to my GPS and if you want, it is interstate highway quality all the way. The side roads are slower but very interesting in this area. I'd recommend Hwy 3 through Leamington and along Lake Erie for part of the trip if so inclined. We also enjoy visiting Canada's southern tip at Point Pelee National Park. It is just a short drive out of Leamington. We stayed at Lakeside Village Campground behind a hotel east of Wheatley. Very nice and right on Lake Erie! There were several others in the area that fronted on the lake.

We've only had our rig opened up once and that was last year when we crossed Boulder Dam! The Canadians have always been welcoming and our passages have been easy. Just lucky I guess. I had someone speculate once that their Texas license plate was the reason they were always searched. Don't know if that is true or not. We've been regular summer travelers in Canada since making the "pilgrimage" to Alaska in 2006.

Want to say, "thank you" to those who responded to my inquiry.............

Was also looking at the KOA in the Detroit area....Thanks again..........

Hello from Canada, sorry to hear you had issues crossing the border, it's hit and miss both ways. If you choose to cross over there is a RV site (Wildwood Golf and RV Resort) between Windsor and Leamington (30 minutes from the border) we stayed there twice last year. It is a full service location, open sites, not many trees but beautifully kept i.e. cement patios etc. They have a golf course wrapped around the park, very well groomed with reasonable prices $20-$23 for 18 holes. Here is the website and the Woodalls site.

http://www.wildwoodgolfandrvresort.com/intro.html

http://www.woodalls.com/campground/campgro...btype=RVCamping

I also agree with Tom, Point Pelee is an interesting place to visit, they have a boardwalk through the wetlands, approx. 3/4 mile long as well as being the most southerly point in Canada-it lines up with northern California!

Hope this helps