joemar1112@yahoo.com

Allison Automatic Transmission Fluid dipstick

I have a 1993 Allison 643 in my 1993 40' Vouge Prima Vista. Any suggestions on where to find the dipstick. My manual says it and the fill cap (I don't know the real name of the spot where you also put the fluid in) are one in the same and it is supposed to be on the side. My tech, who does not work on automatic transmissions, cannot seem to locate. Any suggestions ?

I have a 1993 Allison 643 in my 1993 40' Vouge Prima Vista. Any suggestions on where to find the dipstick. My manual says it and the fill cap (I don't know the real name of the spot where you also put the fluid in) are one in the same and it is supposed to be on the side. My tech, who does not work on automatic transmissions, cannot seem to locate. Any suggestions ?

A quick look from underneath should quickly reveal the dipstick/fill tube's location.

Some are accessed from above (bedroom area).

A quick look from underneath should quickly reveal the dipstick/fill tube's location.

Some are accessed from above (bedroom area).

Thanks for the confirmation. I had a sneaky suspicion it might be thru the bedroom somewhere. Time to start looking

We had a 1994 motor home with Allison transmission and the dipstick that the Allison techs used was directly on top of the transmission. There was one on top of the engine and the fill tube was there but they said the short tube on the top of the transmission was most accurate... you had to be under the motor home to use it. Our current motor home has a dipstick and fill tube under a removable floor panel in the bedroom. The bed in our current rig has no engine access though the older unit did.

Guest BillAdams

We used to have a '95 coach and Allison said to never use the dip stick but instead use the instructions for checking your fluid level with the transmission keypad. I don't know if yours is capable of this operation but if so, that's where you should be checking your fluid levels.

We used to have a '95 coach and Allison said to never use the dip stick but instead use the instructions for checking your fluid level with the transmission keypad. I don't know if yours is capable of this operation but if so, that's where you should be checking your fluid levels.

Bill,

No, that feature did not exist on the hydraulic 4 speed or even early MD2060 6 speeds.

Brett

Brett

I think i may have solved the problem. I found the dipstick and it is not accessible. I could probably work it out to look at it, but never fill from it. So, I examined the pan and found some hosing running out of it. The hoses are to the same hoses that supple the power steering fluid, and both eventually go to the resevoir where the PS fluid is held and we can see that the tank is full (there is a glass bubble on resevoir allowing this). I presume it was designed that way fr easy filling and checking levels. Does this sound like it might be correct.

Brett

I think i may have solved the problem. I found the dipstick and it is not accessible. I could probably work it out to look at it, but never fill from it. So, I examined the pan and found some hosing running out of it. The hoses are to the same hoses that supple the power steering fluid, and both eventually go to the reservoir where the PS fluid is held and we can see that the tank is full (there is a glass bubble on reservoir allowing this). I presume it was designed that way fr easy filling and checking levels. Does this sound like it might be correct.

In a word, NO. The hoses out of the transmission normally go to a transmission fluid cooler which is usually located in the radiator. I have never seen a remote reservoir on an Allison transmission. What would keep all the fluid from running down into the transmission?

And no matter how inaccessible the dip stick tube is, one can usually place a pail (Transynd comes in 5 gallon pails) above the dip stick area and with a new/clean clear vinyl hose start a siphon which will automatically fill the transmission (assuming you have the correct amount of fluid in the pail!). So, as long as you can get a hose into the dip stick tube, you can add fluid.