eaglespirit

Kit for towing a toad

We are buying a Ford Taurus to tow behind our class A 33ft motorhome.  Checking online, the Blue Ox seems to be a favorite, but pricey.  Are there places that sell the kit used and is that a good idea or not?  Think must have the bracket for the car, the towing brackets for the coach and, then a braking system, too?  Are we looking at $2-4k for this stuff?  Seems there must be something less expensive. Not paying that much for the car. Help!

Check ebay, I bought a Roadmaster Stowmaster there at a good price and have been well pleased with it. I thought that $37.50 shipping was pricey but the seller shipped next day, "WOW". I only thought there was a problem with the unit, but with no directions, looked simple enough, but I installed it 90 degrees incorrectly, that was a problem until I found my mistake. Also most do not need brackets for the coach, just a receiver hitch rated high enough to cover the weight of the toad.

3 hours ago, Eaglespirit said:

Think must have the bracket for the car,

This is generally called a baseplate. They are specific to the car, year, model, all affect the fit.

3 hours ago, Eaglespirit said:

the towing brackets for the coach and, then a braking system, too?

The brackets connecting to the coach is the towbar. There are wiring harnesses that you can use to connect the lights. You will need a auxiliary brake set up like a Brake Buddy.

Like Kay said you can find towbars and break systems used for good prices. I would tend to recommend a new baseplate. They take more abuse and are hard to find that will fit exactly.

I found a 10,000 pound rated Blue Ox bar and a brake buddy on craigslist from some people who had sold their RV. I had the towbar rebuilt and certified by Blue OX at a FMCA rally for  about $30.00.

I had the baseplate and lights added as part of  the deal when I bought my 2014 CR-V.

I personally like the Blue Ox setup because when you arn't towing you have to look closely to see the setup. 

Let us know what you find.

Bill

One of the least expensive brake systems is my favorite - ReadyBrake by NSA.  It's truly proportional meaning, it applies the brakes according to how much braking is needed.  It's quick and easy to connect/disconnect and there's no box to install/remove on the floor of the towed.  BlueOx is my preferred towbar/brackets.  I run a hidden wire to the back of my towed and use diodes to light the tail/stop/turn signal lights.  I've been towing vehicles behind motorhomes for over 40 years and I've found that 4-down towing with the items I've listed here are the easiest and quickest way to get on the road.  There's plenty of towbars on Craig's List in our area and once in awhile, the towed with all the accessories comes along.