richard5933

Walton's Mountain

Question

We're going to Virginia this summer for a family wedding, and I was looking for places to visit while we're there.

Anyone have know if Walton's Mountain is worth a visit? If so, is it a place one can go in a 35-foot DP? I grew up with the Waltons, so I'd love to see the area where the story was based.

4 answers to this question

Richard, Good luck with that. I looked at it on google street view. You might get lucky and find enough space to park your rig but I wouldn't put any money on it. This is a classic example of why I don't leave home without a toad.:( You give up to many opportunities to go and see and do. 

Bill

You might be right. I was thinking that parking might be possible at the museum, since their lot looks pretty big. I'll have to call them to find out if the roads leading to them are weight restricted.

We carry electric bikes and are good for about a 25 mile range, so once we get close and park we're good to go if the weather is nice.

I was really hoping to find out if the stop is even worth the effort though, since sometimes these little stops are great and sometimes not so much.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

since their lot looks pretty big.

Yes it looks pretty empty in the view on google street view. That could change with a few randomly spaced cars parked around it. Get a toad.:P

Bill

7 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes it looks pretty empty in the view on google street view. That could change with a few randomly spaced cars parked around it. Get a toad.:P

Bill

That's not happening today, unless you're volunteering to fabricate the hitch for us. Due to the unibody construction of our coach, the hitch needs to be mounted to the bulkhead supports on the forward end of the engine bay, and it has to be made to be removable so the lower end of the engine can still be accessed for maintenance. Apparently putting a hitch on ours will not be a simple install. We thought about it, and then decided it wasn't worth the hassles trying to find a shop that can fabricate the hitch and that can safely lift the coach to do so.

So far it hasn't hampered our travels any. We either take the electric bikes or rent a car for the day. That might be what we do here. We'll be about two hours away where we are camping for the wedding, and we've rented in that area before.

In the end, for the few times we need to rent a car or take Uber, it ends up being much less expensive than the cost of a toad - once you add up the purchase, maintenance, insurance, etc. a toad cost we have lots to play with for rental. and Uber.