PARKAVENUEBIRDS

Clock Spring Replacement

I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler with a VIP Smartwheel.  I have contacted the REV Group and the VIP Smartwheel manufacturers and have not been able to find instructions on how to replace the clock spring.  One dealer told me that I didn't need to pull the steering wheel off, just remove the cover on the Smartwheel.  Then I go online and I read that you need to remove the steering wheel (granted couldn't find one for a motorhome online).  Has anyone had one done or completed this job yourself and can offer any instructions?  Please.

Here is a good video of replacing a clock spring. It is for a Toyota but still an interesting video.

Clock Spring Replacement - Toyota / Lexus - YouTube

Herman

The process should be similar to the video Herman posted. It resides below the steering wheel and it will have to be removed. That would be the hardest part. Other than that it’s just a few screws and electrical plugs. Just use a puller to do so and DO NOT strike the steering shaft with a hammer to release the splines on the steering wheel. Most are collapsible by design and it will ruin the shaft.