Sign in to follow this  
clarksgocamping

?bleed hydraulic controller unit

I have a 2000 Safari Zanzibar on a 1999 magnum chassis.

I have had recent brake problems. Had master cylinder replaced, system bled, and abs sensors on right front and rear. Still have spongy peddle. It has been determined that we have air in the hydraulic control unit. But mechanic doesn't know how to do my coach. Anyone with experience that can help me? Also how to reset ABS light.

Dave

The best and to my knowledge the only effective manner to eliminate air in an ABS pump is to pressure bleed it. Vacuum bleeding does not pull enough fluid through the system fast enough. Pedal pumping once the bleed hose is full takes forever and a whole lot of fluid if one is ever successful. Effective pressure bleeders are expensive and the one I have lower end was 300 something but works great. mitivac.com in spite of the name it is a pressure bleeder.

Dave, Bill's information is on top of the issue for sure. 

The item that I would also check on the coach is all the rubber flex lines to the wheel cylinders, just because of there age - if they are still OEM. and the flex link to the park brake system.

Regarding the ABS reset, the system should clear the fault once all the air is out of the system. As bill mentioned it requires a good amount of brake fluid and that is not a bad thing. Hydraulic brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and becomes less effective  and damaging to the system because of the moisture.

Rich.