ramachida

Blue smoke on startup, CAT 350

New owner here of a 2005 Mandalay with a CAT 350. Lots of blue smoke when started cold. None after it warms up. The oil is above the full mark on the dip stick when cold. Could this be the cause of all the smoke? From some paperwork in a folder, it says that 7 gal of oil were used at the last oil change but the engine spec sheet says 5.5 gallons. Can the oil be changed at those maintenance shops at Pilot or TA?

Thank you

Seems like too much oil with the blue smoke.  Check shop manual on checking oil level.  Some diesel manufactures want it check at operating temperature after sitting about 10 minutes  

Has the dip stick been calibrated to 5.5 gal?  I would go to a CAT Mustang shop and have my oil changed again...didn't cost you anything for the last one.

Yup, 22 quarts is the correct amount for your engine.

As Carl said, at your next oil change, have the engine oil dipstick CALIBRATED.  The dip stick was NOT a Caterpillar part, so may or may not be accurate.

Excess oil-- 6 quarts in your case will sure cause "oil consumption". 

In fact, Caterpillar states to not add oil until the oil level reaches the ADD mark (yes, on a properly calibrated dip stick).

I don't know if the extra 6 quarts will cause the crank to dip into the oil in the sump causing aeration or not.  Certainly safest is to go in through the dip stick tube and drain oil down to the proper level.