Sign in to follow this  
peterk

England Calling 1990 Oskosh Chassis

Hi

Hope everybody is keeping well.

Would anybody have instruction details for remving a Cummins 6BT 5.9ltr engine from a 1990 Oskosh Chassis (front engine, Puller) configuation.

Question 2. Our vehicle is  currently fitted with a Allison FREE wheel overun Transmision, in an ideal world which model Allison Transmission would be the ideal upgrade and possibly where can can we locate one.

Question 3. Want to upgrade the Disc Brake system, and viable suggstions

Best regards as always

Peter & Rayne

What you talking about is a very expensive proposition.  I did the similar upgrades to a 93 Spartan pusher chassis.  I bought a wrecked 98 Discovery to get all the parts I needed.  ISB 275 engine, Allison md 3060 6 speed transmission, air suspension, air brakes, etc.  Took me several years to complete the project as I did it in several stages.  I owned it for 17 years and 140K miles.  When I sold it I got premium dollar.

Labor alone, would be astronomical.  It would be a lot cheaper to fly over, buy an older coach and ship it to England.  

My cousin wanted to keep his boat, a 34 foot Rib, when he moved from Oregon back to Sweden...Total cost $9,300.  He had the engines removed before shipping & shipped separate for $4,700, but saved over $6,000.  Same boat as a USCG rescue craft. 

I can assure you I'm well aware of the amount of work, but we have our own engineering workshop & equipment otherwise I totally agree it's simply not cost effective. But here in England its almost impossible to puchase a Wrecked US Motorhome, people just keep them going forever.

Our Gulf Stream is just over 28ft and accepted at every Campsite we have been to over the past 4yrs, its a 1990 so coming up for 30yrs and needs freshening up and if possible upgrade the Brakes.

The plan is a Staged rebuild as you mention Desertdeals.

But our first challenge is to get the engine & Transmission out and on the floor, the Chassis to two chanels, is it reasonable to assume the engine slide out along the rails ?????

All suggestions are most welcome

Br Peter