wildebill308

Caution!!! It is mud dauber wasp season.

It is time to double check all the openings in your RV to make sure the protective  screens are in place to keep out Flying Insects. This includes furnace air intakes and exhaust and air vents on your refrigerator. I have even heard of them building nest in the AC fan. Amazon sells a lot of different "Flying Insect Screens". 

The reason I brought this item up is I was looking at a friends new to them RV and it didn't have any and wasp were flying around looking for a way into it. They can block airflow and cause outher types of damage.

Bill 

If you have a washer/dryer, don't forget to check the outside vent.  My coach has a flap that opens when the dryer is on, blowing air out.  Last year the mud daubers built a nest on the outside of the flap, that was so big, it would not open.  The flap is tucked inside a small indentation on the side of the MH, and, when open it hits the outside wall of the MH.  In this case the nest prevented the flap opening at all.  I now have three Walmart bags rolled up and stuffed in the small opening in the side of the MH.

As an aside, the reason I was checking this vent was because our dryer had just broken the belt.  The Splendide tech was not sure if the heat not expelled would have caused the belt to break.  Regardless, no operational vent didn't do it any favors.

The wildest one I ever saw was birds building a nest in the dryer hose. They would land on the cover reach under and open the flopper door and go inside. Yes I went and told the owner but he thought I was crazy till he went and looked with a flashlight. They had it about half full of sticks and grass building a nest. Probably a good thing he hadn't tried to use it as the grass and tinder might have started a fire.

Bill

Private pilots have had nasty surprises after skipping cowl-up engine inspections when a bird nest caught fire after takeoff . . .  at least we won't crash.