Sign in to follow this  
akadeadeye

Extended Warranty Coverage

We are coming up on a decision about extended warranty coverage. We bought a 2009 Newmar last October and need to decide what kind of coverage we need. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One recommendation so far has been Protective Extra Ride coverage.

Don

Hi Don,

Make sure you read the contract. Know what you care cover for and what the exclusions are. The exclusions are the insurance company's way of getting out of paying you for a repair. An example is Part "A" is covered. Part "B" (not covered) failed causing part "A" to fail. Claim denied.

Whatever you do, read the fine print. I had high expectations for Good Sam's CSP but that halo has tarnished due to the decline of the Awning Control Unit on my coach. The plan says all coach electrical components (except the usual light bulbs, wires, fiber optics, etc.) are covered but CSP states the wind sensor is the culprit, not the control unit. Ironically, the wind sensor is part of the control unit; neither piece can be purchased separately! Shame on Good Sam CSP!

We recently traded in our 1986 Honey for a 1999 Bounder with 30000 miles. The dealer wanted to sell us a service contract through a certian company, The price was $3800 for three years with a $200 deductable. I checked them out on the web at several sites, and they had nothing but a bad reputation. I didn't call the dealer back to take their offer, but they called me back and said they could lower the price to $3200. I said "no thank you". In the mean time I had done further research and found U.S. Warranty company and called and talked with them. They had NO bad comments on the web, and many good ones. I read the "fine print" and felt that it was a good deal. What I got from them was 4 years for $2800 with a $50 deductible. The payment was one-third down, and the rest in 12 equal monthly payments with no interest.

About three months after buying our coach, we had the failure of the right front leveling jack. We had it repaired at our local RV shop and they handled everything. U.S. covered everything they should have and in a very timely fashion. (they don't pay the sales tax incurred). The bill came to about $893. But the real shocker was that the deductible, instead of being $50, was $37.50. Yes, that is right, they lowered deductible. :D We were VERY happy campers.

Give them a look. No, I do not work for them :) .