jon48

How can I protect my toad from road damage?

12 hours ago, somewhereinusa said:

I gave this a bit of thought when I first started building my tow setup. I decided there just wasn't a need. This is a fairly good presentation of my setup. A couple of notes.

My towed is old so, rock chips in the paint are a minor consideration

I have a pusher bus, rear bumper is 24 inches above the ground. My tires are 38" in diameter. Towed is a Ford Ranger so, hood is pretty high.

50740728077_97db0424a2_z.jpg

There are so many variables such as vehicle speed, wind, surface to make any kind of prediction. I couldn't really find any graphics of this. This is only what I think. 

Red line is the path something would have to take to hit front of vehicle. I don't think this is the likely path anything would take unless you were to spin the tires of your MH.   😁  This shows no drop of any kind.

Green path is what I think is much more likely for anything coming of of a tire.

If a vertical line is drawn approx. 2 feet forward of the rear of the MH and 6 inches off pavement it would appear to solve the problem of the projectile hitting the toad.  It would "shield" the toad as in "Rock Shield.".

Depends on weather it's "Rear Radiator" or "Side!" 2 very different types of turbulence.  Then is your toad modified in any way from stock? My Wranglers, run on 18" rims and 33" NITTO tires, FOX Shocks and steering stabilizer, among other things!

OP here.  I didn't know Blue Ox sold a screen.  Thanks for the comments, I have found all to be useful and worth consideration.  The Wrangler I will tow is a stock '09 but it was well treated by the prior owner and front end looks pretty good.  Since I have a full width shield mounted in the rear and a Blue Ox setup I'll review all these comments again & put a few miles under my belt before deciding.  

Thanks.