fagnaml

Re-upholster Pilot & Co-Pilot Chairs in Greater Houston Area

The "fake leather" upholstery on my Flexsteel pilot and co-pilot chairs is cracking and peeling is several locations.  I've learned through FMCA and iRV2 forums that this "phenomena" is common for Flexsteel chairs after about five years of use and Newmar is well aware of the problem.   To remedy the problem Newmar can provide new upholstery at a 50% discount price of ~$1,000 but I have to find and upholsterer to install the new material.  There is no recourse with Flexsteel as they exited the RV furniture business a few years ago. 

Mr. Google directed my to an upholstery business by the name of Tru Colors Auto Upholstery in Missouri City, TX (located in the south Houston area) who quoted me a price of $650 per chair, including the new upholstery, to come to my motorhome, remove the chairs, reupholster and re-install the chairs.  They need 10-14 days to complete the work.  Their price seems reasonable (especially compared to Newmar's price for just the upholstery material !).    I also learned that Tru Colors Auto Upholstery is the "go to" business  that PPL Motorhomes in Houston uses when RV furniture needs re-covering before placing an RV on PPL's  consignment sales market. 

Is the $650 per chair reupholstering cost reasonable based on the forum's experiences?   And for Houston area folks, has anyone had work done by Tru Colors Auto Upholstery?   Are there other Houston area re-upholstery business I should consider?

As always the forum's thoughts and guidance are very much appreciated!

Edited by fagnaml

Having gone through reupholstering my original captain's chairs and then replacing them, I would be cautious about accepting that bid unless you know specifically what fabric is going to be used.

The reason so many Flexsteel (and other) chair fabrics fail after a couple of years is because the RV manufactures force the furniture companies to meet "price points" in order to get the work.  As a result they don't use the highest quality materials.  One of the best upholstery materials on the market is Ultraleather but the last time I checked it cost $60-80/yard.  You're not going to get that in most consumer market RVs.  What you do get is less expensive polyurethane-finished fabric (that's the fabric family that Ultraleather belongs to) or, even worse you get a "bonded leather" fabric which is real junk.

The first time around we paid a local shop ~$1200 to upholster our captains chairs but be didn't know enough to reject the bonded leather material.

Those lasted a couple of years and then we bit the bullet and bought two top--of-the-line, full power Flexsteel chairs upholstered in "real" Ultraleather.  They weren't cheap, but it's been ~four years now and the fabric looks like new.

The motor had to be replaced in Linda's chair last year, so chair had to come out. $600 in labor to take it out/in....I would have charged $1,000!  Total PIA!!  All our chairs, sofa and dash is real cow leather, looks just like it did in 2012!  Kept clean & soft with saddle soap.