rgustafson15150@mac.com

Battery charge shutdown

I have a 2008 Winni Tour DP. This week while driving in hot weather (90+) I ran both the cab air and the generator to keep the interior comfortable for the grandkids. After several hours I got a red alert light on my inverter control panel with a message that said the battery charging function was shut down due to excessive battery heat. This happened each hot day while on the move. Once we stopped, things returned to normal.

My question is, is this is a normal electrical safety function, or is it something that I should be concerned about and have checked out? Thanks.

When you are driving with generator on, you have TWO charging sources: engine alternator AND inverter/charger.

Particularly if you were on shore power overnight before this occurred, the inverter/charger will have reduced voltage to FLOAT MODE (generally 13.2-13.5 VDC). When you start the engine, the alternator will charge at a much higher rate (generally 14.0-14.5 VDC). At the very least, the inverter charger should sense what it views as an overcharge situation.

And adding road heat to the heat produced by what the inverter/charger sees as overcharging could lead to an excessive heat alarm.

Have you felt the batteries when this occurs-- are they hot? Is there any sign of overheating-- bulging of the battery cases? Excessive boiling of fluid? Water level in batteries OK?

Try turning off the 120 VAC breaker (main breaker panel) that supplies (i.e. IN) the inverter/charger. That will leave a single charging source-- the alternator while you are driving.

Brett