brianreed

T-Mobile Home Internet

I have been working from the road for a couple years, not fulltime, but for several months at a time.  I have used a combination of a ATT and Verizon hotspots, and also my phone for backup.  I purchased Nomad Internet, which was great for about a year of so.  Their support was so shady I did some looking and all I can say is that the company has some questionable business practices that I did not feel comfortable using them anymore.  And it would stop working then days or weeks later I would get new equipment... anyway I would run from them.

I saw other options, but decided to give the new Tmobile Home Internet a try, and so far it has been great.  I still have my ATT and Verizon, but they are now my backup.  There are no equipment costs and it is a flat $50 a month with autopay, and there is no commitment so really there is zero risk to giving it a try.  I have only been using it for 2 months and two different locations in WA, but it has been great.  5G unlimited and no throttling.  Until I can get Starlink this will be my go to.

Thought I would share!

On 1/24/2022 at 7:56 AM, brianreed said:

I have been working from the road for a couple years, not fulltime, but for several months at a time.  I have used a combination of a ATT and Verizon hotspots, and also my phone for backup.  I purchased Nomad Internet, which was great for about a year of so.  Their support was so shady I did some looking and all I can say is that the company has some questionable business practices that I did not feel comfortable using them anymore.  And it would stop working then days or weeks later I would get new equipment... anyway I would run from them.

I saw other options, but decided to give the new Tmobile Home Internet a try, and so far it has been great.  I still have my ATT and Verizon, but they are now my backup.  There are no equipment costs and it is a flat $50 a month with autopay, and there is no commitment so really there is zero risk to giving it a try.  I have only been using it for 2 months and two different locations in WA, but it has been great.  5G unlimited and no throttling.  Until I can get Starlink this will be my go to.

Thought I would share!

THANKS FOR THE POST. We are looking into it as well. BTW we lived in the Mill Creek area 51stSE for 20 years. Moved in 2015 to Vancouver area. 

I wanted to try TMobile 5G Home Internet but the rep at the store told me I have to keep it at the address of my home and it would eventually stop working if it sees that I’m not at home with the device.   Not sure I believe that but that’s what they told me. 

11 minutes ago, mstenger said:

I wanted to try TMobile 5G Home Internet but the rep at the store told me I have to keep it at the address of my home and it would eventually stop working if it sees that I’m not at home with the device.   Not sure I believe that but that’s what they told me. 

I see no reason why you couldn't use your TechConnect device at your home while you are there but the 5G Home Internet is associated with a fixed location.  The only problem I'd have with that is loosing Internet at the house for my Ring Camera Security system when I leave.  So I let Spectrum rip me off for $75 every month for internet service only.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:05 PM, moonwink said:

I see no reason why you couldn't use your TechConnect device at your home while you are there but the 5G Home Internet is associated with a fixed location.  The only problem I'd have with that is loosing Internet at the house for my Ring Camera Security system when I leave.  So I let Spectrum rip me off for $75 every month for internet service only.

I know you have probbabley checked but I heard some security systems were only 3G and not supported by 5G. What have you heard?  Might be cheaper to just get anouther hot spot for the house.

Bill

The 3G shutdown will affect everyday devices you probably own

The link above is for a recent segment on CNN about the 3G shutdown.  Mine goes through my WiFi router and cable provider.

I would think if you're paying for a cell service connection for your security system, the provider would have to furnish a new device just as TechConnect did. 

It depends on who you speak with at T-Mobile. I passed the question on the T-Mobile site and received several calls, each with a different answer. One said they couldn’t guarantee 5G service everywhere but I explained I was looking for that, just a more secure service. Another said absolutely not, the unit had to stay at our residence. One gal wouldn’t even talk to me and hung up. I still think we’re going with this T-Mobile Home Internet.