Amblerdon

Trouble with DPF exhaust system

We recently were stranded when our DPF system malfunctioned. We had bought our 2009 motorhome 6months earlier, and on our first trip noticed the engine check light would come on then go off. When I called the previous owner, he told me that it happened to him also, and was told was probably a bad sensor. Said to ignore it unless the other gauges showed hot engine, etc. We did drive a total of 5400 miles on the trip before major occurred. DPF light came on, then stop engine, and because we were on the way to a Freightliner facility to have it fixed, decided to keep going, only to have it shut down totally, stranding us for 5 hours waiting to be towed. Two weeks later, $10k lighter, and finding out new glow plugs in cased in new housings were replaced, just wondering if this happens and how often to other diesel engines. We have a CAT 9 425 hp 2009 pre DEF engine.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:10 AM, Amblerdon said:

We recently were stranded when our DPF system malfunctioned. We had bought our 2009 motorhome 6months earlier, and on our first trip noticed the engine check light would come on then go off. When I called the previous owner, he told me that it happened to him also, and was told was probably a bad sensor. Said to ignore it unless the other gauges showed hot engine, etc. We did drive a total of 5400 miles on the trip before major occurred. DPF light came on, then stop engine, and because we were on the way to a Freightliner facility to have it fixed, decided to keep going, only to have it shut down totally, stranding us for 5 hours waiting to be towed. Two weeks later, $10k lighter, and finding out new glow plugs in cased in new housings were replaced, just wondering if this happens and how often to other diesel engines. We have a CAT 9 425 hp 2009 pre DEF engine.

This "can and does" happen to DPFs with age.  Yours lasted 14 years, I don't pretend to know if that's good or bad.  When the computer senses that the DPF is getting clogged with soot, it sends fuel to a glow plug just upstream of the unit.  The fuel ignites and burns the soot out of the DPF (I think it's called Regen), and the filter is good for another round.  When the glow plug fails, the DPF clogs even more and the restriction of the exhaust makes the engine work harder and heat is the result.  It's a bit like a catalytic converter (for a car) that can clean itself.

Sorry for your problem and glad it's fixed.  Should be good for a long time !!