Polmex

battery help

Hello, I have a 2005 Alfa see ya. Batteries are bad and need to?replace. Im gonna do it myself. I have 6 6 volt batteries in series. I created a diagram to know how to reconnect when I get new batteries. Also want to add solar charger when done. cabling is confusion. Which is main negative and main positive? 3 on each side of generator but cant see all cable. Any help would he apreciated. Thanks

20230415_120129.jpg

20230415_120129.jpg

20230415_121949.jpg

It is actually wired in series/parallel.2, 6V in series makes 1 12V battery connected in parallel to a second set, which in turn is connected the same way to the 3rd set of 6V batteries. This is the correct routing, however you  will have a 2nd set of pos. and neg. cables leading to the inverter.Series/Parallel battery wiring — northernarizona-windandsun

What makes it confusing is, one battery in each group of 3 must be wired together to make 1, 12V battery, then the remaining 2 in each group are wired together to make another 12V battery. After washing away some dirt, I'd identify those 2, 6V batteries making 1, 12V battery. That will make it easy to identify the 3rd battery in each group.

I would use a continuity tester to identify the series cables that go from neg. to pos.., marking them as I identified each one.  Those cables that do not have continuity when tested at both ends are likely cables the other 3rd battery or to ground or inverter, positive cables  with no continuity either go to engine  or inverter and those can be identified with a continuity tester or a tone generator if the other end is not evident..

That's as much as I can see in your pictures It is a good thing you are approaching it this way, if you just began unhooking cables it would be a real puzzle to get all the cables correct.

I hope this reads better than I suspect it does.

Edited by rayin

Thank you for your help. I think whatnis confusing is Instead of a battery bank where they are all together like your diagram, I have 3 on each side of generator and cant see the cables clearly with all the isulation aroundnthosecables. So, I made a diagram and will connect new batteries just like I see these. Thank you again for your response. Have. A great one.