schoonmakerjon

Detroit Diesel w/50DN Alternator

Hello Forum Members,

I have a '99-'00 MCI converted coach used initially as a celebrity coach and now a highly functional RV.  It has been working well for us until this year's recent annual inspection and the coach now has what might be a significant repair issue.  I'm looking for insights, advise and related guidance to accomplish a resolution.   My goal is to keep the coach on the road.

The repair situation is the lower, 5 o'clock position on the 50DN bracket has developed a crack.   Please see attached picture, 50DN w/lower bracket section and bracket crack at the 5 o'clock position.  As identified the coach has a Detroit Diesel (DD) series 60, 12.6L engine and the 50DN alternation is attached to the upper right side, when viewing the engine from the rear compartment.  I'm interested in anyone's information about repairing this cracked bracket.  Can it be welded?  replaced? other options?   and information related to costs,, risks, success/reliability after repair.   Thank you in advance for your insights and suggestions.    Regards,   Jon

5thboltDN.jpeg

50DNbracket.jpeg

Bill,  good morning and I appreciate your reply.   Thank you.   Also, I've received other information identifying this opening/"crack" as a grooved fitting for a shim.   This shim is used for aligning the 50DN with the engine pulleys and related belts to drive the alternator.   I've a contact for the shims and will be following this up.

This added information will close out this topic for now and I'll update it if there is more information.   Thank you everyone for having a look and your feedback.    ---  Jon