Tomdoiron

Stand-alone AC to DC charger

Hi Folks,

Can we connect the positive and negative leads from a stand-alone AC to DC lithium charger to the positive and negative busbars instead of directly to the battery terminals?

Edited by Tomdoiron
Grammar

I probably would not if there are fuses between the bus bars and the batteries. An exception if you have an inverter, would be to connect to the posts on the inverter. There should be one fuse that maybe 159-300 amp rating in the inverter feed. 

Thanks, Rossboyer. My inverter is a Victron Pheonix and its connections do  not accommodate the charger leads. I will be closing all circuits (power center, SCC, inverter) when using the 45 amp charger. 

FWIW, in electrical terms closing a circuit means completing the connection, opening a circuit means breaking the connection.

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

Why would you be trying to connect a charger to your inverter?

Bill

Only because the connections are readily accessible on my inverter, but OP states his are not; therefore, another connection location needs to be found. 

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

Only because the connections are readily accessible on my inverter, but OP states his are not; therefore, another connection location needs to be found. 

Still doesn't tell me why you would hook a charger to your inverter. 

Bill 

The OP wanted to connect a battery charger to be able to charge the batteries at a location other than at the battery posts. The large heavy duty posts on the inverter would be a good location on some inverters, but the OP has indicated that the connections are not convenient on his inverter. 
So now, what do you not understand?

7 hours ago, rayin said:

FWIW, in electrical terms closing a circuit means completing the connection, opening a circuit means breaking the connection.

Thanks for the correction.