Izwhutitiz

Request Help Planning: Northern Arkansas to Moab, by way of OK, NM, and CO?

My first time posting and new to FMCA! Can I get some help from seasoned travelers? I'd like to get advice on trip planning from THE OZARKS, (Eureka Springs) to Moab, UT.  We drive a 40' Allegro Bus and tow a Ford F150.  I'd like to ensure a safe but scenic route thru northern Ark, thru the pan handle of OK , over to Northern NM, then Colorado and on to Moab.  With this long of a rig, I want to be safe but also avoid interstates as much as possible.  Looking for more scenic State highways, if possible. Can you help?

well, there are the obvious interstate highways through colorado, or the southern route, but since you want to stay on smaller roads, yes, going through the OK panhandle on US 412 should be fine.    you could then go south and continue on US 64 through NM or go north and go through CO on US 160 which does take you over Wolf Creek pass. this is steep and curvy in places, but i have driven it more than once in a class A motorhome without problems.  you do need to gear down and use your engine brakes on the downgrade, but its beautiful country.

regards,

chris g.

Thank you for your reply!  I did read about going a route that takes you over Wolf Creek pass.  We've been down steep grades before in a previous 40'er, but its been several years.  We are now in a "new to us" 2006 and still getting used to it.  I'll have to ponder my risk level.  :]