hayesfamily

Slightly Irritated w: my ONAN 7500

So my irritation isn’t with the generator per se it’s more so with what I’ve been noticing. I’m not sure whether the previous owner of this coach put his hands on it like he did some other stuff but the oil drain plug seems to be stuck. The last couple of oil changes I just sucked the oil out with a pump which did not present a huge issue however, does anybody know a trick to getting this plug out or has anybody ever experienced this issue? I would like to just replace the plug and use it for what it is but if it’s gonna be that much of a headache I’m just gonna leave it like it is in pump it out from the top.    

Hi Keon. Have you ever had the plug out? I am some what reluctant to recommend you just go for it. I don't know how bad the previous owner torqued it in.  I might take it to someplace like your local Cummins dealer and have him change the oil. That should solve the problem. 

However if you want to I would use a good breaker bar to break it loose. I would replace it with a new plug after you get it out. 

Let me know what you think.

Bill

The plug in my 8KW was so tight, I had to use a long breaker bar to break it loose. Onan used a pipe plug and what I think was lock tite. It was not easy to break loose so get a good socket fit on the plug and a long breaker bar. Make sure you are using the righty tighty, lefty loosey on the plug. Once you get it out, don't put in so tight or replace it with a Futomoto valve. https://www.fumotousa.com/