Tfrye223333

2010 Ford Ranger 4x4 - can it be flat towed?

I'm new to flat towing, and confused.

I would like to flat tow my 2010 4x4 Ford Ranger and I'm seeing contradicting information from several sources.  I'm even seeing contradicting information from Ford.

1. The manual is showing it can be FT (flat towed) but it requires a "flat tow kit" to be installed. Max speed 55 mph. Unlimited milage

2. I went into Ford dealer and was told by Service Mgr. after he check his resources, that all 4 wheel need to be off the ground when towing.

Does anyone have experience bad or good with flat towing 4x4 Ford Rangers?

What I found in the FMCA Towing Guide.  https://www.fmca.com/images/stories/pdf/towing_10.pdf

Automatic transmission: With dealer-installed Neutral Tow Kit (part
#3L2Z-7H332-AA). Manual transmission (both 4x2 and 4x4): Vehicle must
be shifted into “neutral” and the maximum towing speed is 55 mph.

I would be looking for something I could tow a little faster. I don't know how much you could push it but I tend to run about 65.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

The vehicle specific owners manual is the final authority. Locate the section listed "recreational towing" and read closely. I have seen online recreational towing guides with errors.

I agree with wildbill, I would search for a different towed vehicle.  I'd hate to be limited to 55 MPH on interstates, then if you visit Texas and a couple other states with 80 MPH speed limits it could get downright dangerous in heavy traffic.