n3566

Class A Gas changing to a heavier toad ?

😃I have a 2021 Tiffin Open Road.  I have been towing a 2018 Equinox with no issues (3300 lbs) . I am considering trading for a larger vehicle.   If I tow a Traverse or a Acadia how badly will I notice the 1000 lb heavier vehicle ? My coach has the 7.3 V-8.  GM is quiet about the curb weight of the Acadia and Traverse but I believe it is 4200-4500 lbs.  Towing for this coach is 5000 lbs.

It's pretty much guaranteed that your towing capacity is not 5,000 lbs but you probably have a 5,000 lb hitch. The Tiffin 2021 Open Road Allegro brochure is found here: https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/uploads/model-brochure/Open-Road-Allegro-Brochure/2021-Open-Road-Allegro-Brochure.pdf

You either have a 22,000 GVWR chassis, a 24,000 GVWR chassis, or a 26,000 GVWR chassis. Which one do you have?

The formula to figure out the unrestricted towing capacity, unless artificially limited by the coach manufacturer, is GCWR minus GVWR. That means that both the 22,000 GVWR and 26,000 GVWR chassis have an unrestricted towing capacity of only 4,000 lbs, but with a 5,000 lb hitch installed.

The 24,000 GVWR chassis has a GCWR of 30,000 lbs so it actually could have an unrestricted towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. But with a 5,000 lb hitch installed you would need to get it upgraded to a 7,500 lb hitch (the next size up) in order to safely tow 6,000 lbs.

Is it possible for the 22,000 GVWR and 26,000 GVWR chassis to safely tow 5,000 lbs? Yes, by loading the motorhome a full half-ton less than the GVWR. Do you know what your motorhome weighs when fully loaded up?

I'd also be careful with published curb weights because while they assume a full tank of gas, they assume nothing else. Zero options, not even floor mats. Our 2020 Equinox Premier AWD with the 2.0L engine has a published curb weight of 3,665 lbs. But ours is almost fully optioned. With the normal "car stuff" we carry and the towing equipment that thing was exactly 4,000 lbs on a CAT Scale.

So as usual, it depends.

Ray

10 hours ago, n3566 said:

😃I have a 2021 Tiffin Open Road.  I have been towing a 2018 Equinox with no issues (3300 lbs) . I am considering trading for a larger vehicle.   If I tow a Traverse or a Acadia how badly will I notice the 1000 lb heavier vehicle ? My coach has the 7.3 V-8.  GM is quiet about the curb weight of the Acadia and Traverse but I believe it is 4200-4500 lbs.  Towing for this coach is 5000 lbs.

Yes you may notice the added weight but I don't think it will be that bad.

The real limiting factor on a lot of the coaches based on the Ford chassis or any of the outher ones out there is the welded on extensions to the frame. The extra length  addes leverage to the weight/stresses on the frame. 

Let us know what you think after you get it.

Bill

I pull an Equinox on a 38 ft gasser with a 26000 chassis. I also sometimes pull a Colorado with a motorcycle in the back that weighs 5000#

My max towable is 5000# so I am at maximum gcwr, and the rv does fine. There is a difference but I can pull hills with trucks and

cruise at 70mph with no problems.

I regularly run it across scales to be sure I do no go over. I keep my water tank empty and I am right at max gcwr. You will not have a problem