Sign in to follow this  
nowberv

winter storage

Plugged in to charge the batteries (you don't mention what coach you have, so I don't know about the switch).....inverter off.  I never turn my inverter on unless I will be using it.

I have a Winnebago, what's your Mfg. 

I leave mine plugged in all the time. I have to leave the chassis and house switches in the ON position so the batteries will charge.

In my case I leave the inverter on because I have some electronics that will notify me if 110v power is disrupted. I then make the 8 mile trip to see what the cause was and typically it's the poor GFCI they have on the pole. Just reset until next time. The power monitor is plugged into a non-inverter receptacle. 

The system I use to monitor is on MYSPOOL.COM. I just have the one to monitor power. 

Also, on the Winne it is best if the step is turned OFF. Leaving it on draws more current than the tric-l-charger can support. 

Happy trails...and that is just for my make and model. Check with your Mfg to see if switches need to be left on or turned off.

Edited by wayne77590

If you're going to leave your RV plugged in over the winter, the following is very important:

• in the case of non-maintenance-free batteries, check them frequently to make sure the electrolyte isn't boiling off. Be sure to top up the cells regularly
  • if you don't have a 3-stage charger, you risk overcharging the battery. The charger must have a float stage
  • Keep the terminal connections clean. Clean off any acid that forms and use baking soda solution to help keep it clean

I have always left mine plugged in, inverter off.  I have not had any issues as a result of this practice, other than the owner of the storage building unplugging my rig once.  I do make sure everything is off (Aquahot electric element, etc.)  and use the shore power just to keep the house and chassis batteries charged properly.  Just be sure, as already mentioned, your charger/inverter is capable of a float charge.  As one of the previous posters also mentioned, keep an eye on the water level if you have FCLA batteries.  From my own dumb mistake, I found they only last about four years if you completely neglect them :).  

Edited by superbus