tcolburn

Xantrex 458 inverter starts for no apparent reason

Hello everyone.

2003 Fleeetwood Revolution 40C.

With shore power disconnected, generator not running, and both chassis and house power switches turned off, our Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger just started up by itself in “invert” mode and the remote panel (Xantrex Basic Remote) came on. I was able to turn it off by pressing the Invert button on the remote panel, but after a few minutes of silence, the inverter turned itself on again!

After a few cycles like this, I called Xantrex tech support, and the friendly person who answered suggested that I reset the inverter/charger by disconnecting the battery positive cable from the unit and waiting 2-3 hours. I did that, but when I came back and reconnected the battery, the inverter started itself up again. I called back to tech support, and the technician told me that a second try at the reset procedure might work. But if it didn’t, he said that given the age of the inverter/charger (original equipment), it was likely that I would need to replace it.

So I tried the reset process a second time, but the inverter started itself again. This time, after I shut it off from the panel, I had the idea to unplug the RJ-11 connector for the remote from the inverter, and then plug it back in. To my amazement, the unit stayed off and I thought I might have solved the problem. I left after a half hour or so of observation.

But alas, when I returned to the coach this morning, the inverter/charger was humming merrily along in the bay. Much more of this and I’m going to end up with flat house batteries.

So, what’s your consensus? New unit, or something else to check?

Just for grins; disconnect the neg, cable instead, after 3 hrs observe results. Electrons flow from neg. to pos.

Could be a short in the RJ-11 or in the RCU (remote unit) itself. Also, make sure the power switch on the inverter is turned off (to allow the RCU to control the unit). Did you try leaving the RJ-11 unplugged to see if the inverter turns on? Try that, and if the problem goes away, the issue is with the remote cable or remote control unit. 

Doubt unplugging the negative will work - electrons flow from negative to positive, but they won't flow at all if you disconnect either one. Although in all my years as an aerospace engineer, I have seen stranger things :)

Hi everyone. OP here. I ended up replacing the inverter/charger, and after a few days of testing and observation, I think everything is back to normal. The original remote control unit is still in place and functioning as it should. Thanks to all for your suggestions!