Rlgabriel

What cable gauge needed when adding house batteries?

Wanting to see what AWG cable size is recommended when adding additional 6 volt batteries to an existing battery set. Currently have two 6 volt 210ah batteries that need replacing and I want to add two more. I fully understand the series/parallel wiring arrangement needed for the four batteries, but have no clear idea whether to go with 2 AWG, 4 AWG other sized cables for the new connections involved. What’s the best selection?

Go to a ''real'' battery shop and ask them.  I got my last house and starter batteries at Interstate.  The house batteries have a three year full replacement warranty.

It depends how many amps you are pulling out and putting in during charging. If you have a trailer, 2 or 4 is sufficient, but if you have a motorhome with a large alternator and/or inverter/charger, you might consider as large as 1/0. In the case of a motorhome, I definitely wouldn't go smaller than 2, but you may notice the cabling from the chassis and inverter may be as large as 1/0.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:00 AM, Rlgabriel said:

Wanting to see what AWG cable size is recommended when adding additional 6 volt batteries to an existing battery set. Currently have two 6 volt 210ah batteries that need replacing and I want to add two more. I fully understand the series/parallel wiring arrangement needed for the four batteries, but have no clear idea whether to go with 2 AWG, 4 AWG other sized cables for the new connections involved. What’s the best selection?

I would use the same as what is in there now.

Bill

I went with 2 gauge cable  after finding a cable sizing guide chart and verifying the maximum amperage of my system. The cables were ordered from BatteryCablesUSA.com .  They make “golf cart cables” which have 5/16 holes in the lugs for the 6 volt batteries instead of the 3/8 hole typically found. Got the cables fabricated to the length I selected within the week. I also ordered rubber boots, mostly to put on the parallel cables where one end is on positive post (red) and other on negative (black). I’ll need to post a picture when all installed.

IMG_6815.jpeg

IMG_6884.jpeg