ohio

Costs for Installation and balancing. Tire program

Want to get some idea of 2024 costs to install and balance tires through the FMCA Tire Program.  Looking at Michelin.  From what I gather, the tire shops listed within the site are part of the program.  There is a new Loves really close and thought they should be a good option.  Before committing to the program what like an understanding of total cost.  The skeptical side of me do not want a tire shop up-charging labor since they are not actually selling the tires retail and would be helpful to know what others have paid.

Edited by ohio

Looks like you may be near Akron? Because Loves apparently opened a new location in Delphos this year.

There is zero actionable information in your post for anyone to offer focused advice to you. Even a tire size would help.

Michelin typically is far, far more expensive than other tire companies. I'm guessing they offered the OEM chassis manufacturers a great deal because they know owners often want to stay with the same tire when replacement time comes up. If you plug your tire size into this site they will quote you a price installed at your location and using balancing beads. They also show the prices for acceptable alternate sizes and manufacturers: https://motorhometires.com/

They will show you how much more expensive Michelin is. There also are other reasons to not use Michelin but without knowing your tire size I won't mention them because they may not be applicable.

But, due to the convenience factor, motorhometires is not cheap. Not totally outrageous and for people who need to drive an hour or more to get tires they can be reasonable.

Me, I used a local company in Brunswick, OH, TPS Tire, to replace six 235/80R22.5 tires this summer with Toyo M154 245/75R22.5 tires: https://www.tpstire.com/

The price was about $2,800 installed, like $900 cheaper than motorhometires. We also had TPS install Borg Dually Valves on the rear tires to get rid of the valve stem extensions and they also installed Centramatic balancers I provided. The total cost was still cheaper than motorhometires but their suppliers would not send the newest tires. I told them I wanted nothing older than six months but privately would have accepted nine months. I'd read these tires come from Japan so I figured they would be older.

The shop returned 18 tires before they got a set that was 11 months old, which I accepted. The first set was well over two years old. The warranty starts when the tires are installed and when we got the motorhome new the tires were already nine months old and had been pressurized for four months, which is why I was OK with the older tires. My 11-month old Toyos were first pressurized the day they were installed. I also used to work for a tire manufacturer a long time ago so I am not as focused on the tire manufacturing date as other people. To me, the date is more of a guideline than a rule. :)

Why do tire suppliers not check date codes? Because the warranty starts when installed and most tires wear out before they age out. But not on the typical motorhome.

TPS Tire is an interesting single-location company. They don't really advertise motorhome work but they do a lot. They have two techs who work on nothing but motorhomes and the related F59 delivery truck chassis. The techs are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. We've used TPS for various suspension improvements as well as this work. I also had them flush and replace the brake fluid and regrease the front wheel bearings this year.

Edited by raypesek

On 9/21/2024 at 10:35 AM, ohio said:

Want to get some idea of 2024 costs to install and balance tires through the FMCA Tire Program.  Looking at Michelin.  From what I gather, the tire shops listed within the site are part of the program.  There is a new Loves really close and thought they should be a good option.  Before committing to the program what like an understanding of total cost.  The skeptical side of me do not want a tire shop up-charging labor since they are not actually selling the tires retail and would be helpful to know what others have paid.

Go to https://www.michelinrvtires.com/dealer-locator/#/ and enter your zip code in the dealer locator, choose COMMERCIAL TRANSPORTATION. The dealers will be listed in the order closest to your location. Select the dealer that best suits your tire needs. Now you can get quotes on cost of installation.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

On 9/25/2024 at 8:51 AM, raypesek said:

"They will show you how much more expensive Michelin is. There also are other reasons to not use Michelin but without knowing your tire size I won't mention them because they may not be applicable."

If you are looking at new tires, the reasons are applicable.  A great  many of us have been forced to swap out Michelins years before other brands due to sidewall cracking.  Check the other forums, there are lots of links to their issues.

Methinks he also posted on iRV2 because the username there is very similar to here and seems to include his zip code, which indeed is south of Akron, OH: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f88/tire-program-installation-costs-656527.html

He made some phone calls and had the answers even before I responded and his signature say he owns a Cornerstone.