Sign in to follow this  
marcimiller2@gmail.com

Montana Route Suggestions

Question

We will be heading to Hungry Horse, MT after our stay in West Yellowstone, MT. We are deciding on which route to take out of West Yellowstone, either back up Hwy 191 or cut off 191 at 287 and take it up to Hwy 90. I noticed a comment in my atlas about a low bridge near Three Forks on this route.

Anyone familiar with this road and the low area?

Now the second section of our route once we connect with Hwy 90 - deciding between Hwy 200 connecting with Hwy 83, and up to Hungry Horse or should we take Hwy 90 to Hwy 93 and up to Kalispell; Any suggestions? We are 64ft. in total, motor coach pulling an enclosed trailer. Thank you for your help. :rolleyes:

2 answers to this question

Hwy 191 North has a lot of twists and turns as it follows the Gallatin River. Hwy 287 has a lot less twist and turns as it follows the Madison River. Both drives have a great beauty that will hold your interest. I have driven both in a 43 foot motor home towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. North of Interstate 90 you have two choices of driving up the east side of the Rockies or driving along Interstate 90 to Missoula and then north into Hungry Horse. The west route may be faster but the east route has a lot of history. This is a long day trip for me as I normally only will do a max of 300 miles in a day.

We drove 287 in the summer of 2004, there were no low bridge problems along the route. We particularly enjoyed a stop at the interpretative center related to the Lake Hebgen Earthquake. If you have any interest in geology/earth history, this site is very interesting. We stopped at Missouri River Headwaters State Park for a day visit. We parked the rig at the visitors center and then rode bikes and hiked around the park. Doing this we were able to get in and out without unhooking. We also greatly enjoyed the Great Falls area with its biking and walking trail along the waterfalls on the Missouri River.