adjret@dishmail.net

Campground Review

We have just returned from a 21 state 6 week trip in our RV and stayed at many RV Parks. I want to comment on one in particular that should not be allowed to remain open. The park is Mic Mac Cove in Union, Maine.

The following are issues with the park.

- No 50 amp service and all the 30 amp except one were really only 25.

- Wiring boxes and plugs in were on trees and falling apart.

- Electrical wires were only 10' off the ground.

- Bathrooms were falling down and filthy. Cost 75 cents for hot water.

- No on ground dump but would have a truck dump you for 10 dollars.

- Trash everywhere and grass over your knees in places with firepits running over with trash

- Had about 100 seasonal campers who had parties every night until 2 or 3 in the morning with loud music, cusssing, heavy drinking etc

- Fireworks shot off at the wee hours of the morning

- Roads not maintained

- Payground was full of deep ruts that were dangerous to children.

I could go on and on but bottom line you need to shy away from this camp ground if in Maine.

Dane

Guest Wayne77590

It's not listed in RV Park Reviews.

A search only revealed one other review, and it was on the "positive" side.

However, looking at Woodall's it is stated that no heater or AC allowed.

You may want to add your review to a "new park" in the RV Park Reviews.

This is a great web site, wish I had discovered it years ago. I've entered ratings of all our campgrounds from this year. I'll keep posting as long as we are traveling. Furthermore, I'll check ratings for campground choices in the future.

Guest Wayne77590

One thing to be informed about is that some of the posts that were negative, we found the CG to be an okay place to stop. I sometimes wonder if the "competition" posts on that web site. I read everything with a grain of salt and like most, we will make our decisions based on the overall responses/reviews.

I especially like the ones where people say that the CG personnel had an "attitude" problem. I have seen campers come into an office "with" an attitude and they get one right back. Most likely they then write a review. I was in line once where you could tell there was a hostile exchange going on, and the RV'er walked out. I was next in line and had the sweetest conversation with no attitude at all. Attitude begets attitude.

What I look for in the reviews: road conditions, low branches, alternate routes, and any other tangible information......

opinions, experiences are ok,,,,,I like several reviews to see if there may be a pattern....

Just like investigating, like to have as much info as possible before coming to any conclusion.

Rv park reviews has been one resource that provides info, as well as escapees, rvnet, and some other forums.....google earth, etc......

The above resources may have saved me some damages over the years as well as some unlikely parks where I would not care to stay at.....

The more experiences folks post,,,,,the more info that is helpful in reaching a conclusion......Have not been disappointed,,,,,,,Yet!

Homework, homewor, homework..........pays off and enhances the traveling experience.....

your experience/opinion may differ....

Safe Highways....

I own a park and have had many reviews, some positive and some negative. Of the negative ones, I could tell you exactly what happened and most times only one side is reflected in the review. One was about a dog and our dog policy. We do not exclude any particular breed. Reason being, we owned a pit bull that was the sweetest, friendliest dog on the planet. She loved children, other dogs, cats, everyone. We also owned a cocker spaniel that would chase you down and rip the pants right off your leg. Our policy is that if you own a dog that is not friendly, a known biter or vicious, your dog is not allowed. You as an owner should know if you can trust your dog in a campground situation. If your dog is not friendly, leave him at the kennel.

The problem was when there was a pitbull camping with us, the woman felt that the dog did not belong where there were other people around. We had been informed of the dog earlier, and sent someone down to check out the situation. She found the dog friendly, so much so that she allowed her 3 year old (who was bitten by a boarder collie last year-not in our park, mind you) to pet the dog. She spent 30 minutes with the dog and the owner. She also works about 100 feet from the site the dog was on. In the three days they were with us there was never a problem.

The complaintant came into the store and asked me what the pet policy was, I started to explain that we ask for the rabies certificate, I would have handed her the pet policy and rules, but I don't know what happened, an interruption of some sort, and I never handed it to her. I assumed she want to know for her own use, should she want to bring a dog. She never complained about the pit bull, or I would have told her we had someone down there. So that mis-communication spurred her to write a negative review stating she would never come back because of our dog policy (that she didn't even have) even though there was never an incident. She also embellished it a bit by stating there was rotwieler down in the same area that no one else ever saw.

As campground owners, we have not had a dog related incident in 10 years. The only one we had in the 11 years we owned the park was a dog fight, the person that complained wanted the owner of the other dog to produce their rabies certifiacte, they didn't have it with them, but volunteered to go home and get it in the morning. We asked for both certificates and found that the complaintants dog was over due and the other dog was fine. There was a $200.00 fine from the town for the dog that was behind in the shots. Let me add that there were NO injuries to either dog, the owner was able to get control of the dog before things got out of hand. Even so, the dog was not allowed back in the park.

Another sort of negative one was that our activities were slipping....they failed to mention that we had just suffered a devastating fire and lost 100% of our event supplies. All the costumes, all the props, everything. Gone. It has been difficult to replace the building, and all that was lost and we are still working on it.

So, take all those comments with a grain of salt, read all the reviews, if they all are negative, well, maybe there is something there. I did have one gentleman tell me that he had read a bad review on our park and decided to come just to see if it was as bad as they said, and he found us to be a great park and has been back several times since. I wish he'd write that in a review!!