tomnnm@hotmail.com

Type Of Driver's License Required

Our Type A motohome is rated well above 26,000 pounds and a neighbor (another motorhomer) recently advised me that we may need a CDL type of license to drive it legally. We register and house the coach in New Mexico. I have sent a query to the NM DOT but have not heard back and am wondering if anyone can clue me in on this subject. Thanks much.

There have been several previous discussions on this topic related to other states. I don't think the discussion got around to New Mexico but I'll refer you to License for Motorhomes over 26,000 pounds. This was an extensive discussion that could give you some background. Another discussion, Drivers license in South Carolina and other states covers additional information.

One factor which may affect the answer from the NM DOT would be whether your coach has air brakes. As you will surmise from the above discussions, states range from very lenient to very strict about licensing requirements. Whatever you find, be sure to post it in this discussion to help others in the future.

Driver's license is from Oklahoma, which requires neither CDL or special license for RVs. I've been driving a Class A gasser, less than 26,000, for ten years. Recently purchased a Class A pusher which exceeds that weight. Still do not require CDL or special license in Oklahoma. However, how does this impact me when driving in other states that do/may require additional licensing?

BTW, new to this forum, but not new to RVing.

Thanks.

Grey Mountain

Driver's license is from Oklahoma, which requires neither CDL or special license for RVs. I've been driving a Class A gasser, less than 26,000, for ten years. Recently purchased a Class A pusher which exceeds that weight. Still do not require CDL or special license in Oklahoma. However, how does this impact me when driving in other states that do/may require additional licensing?

BTW, new to this forum, but not new to RVing.

Thanks.

Grey Mountain

Gray Mountain,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If you conform to the driver's license requirements for your coach in the state where you have your license, you are good in all other states. Said another way, all states recognize the driver's licenses of the other states.

This applies to your driver's license, but NOT to your coach/vehicle/vehicle operation. Your coach and vehicle as well as its operation are subject to the laws of the state in which you are driving.

Brett Wolfe

Gray Mountain,

The same applies to Canada, they recognize US states drivers licenses. Be careful though, they may free your captive British Bride!