Sign in to follow this  
riverbendfun

Left Over Rigs

We are looking at a 2007 Newmar that is a leftover. Outwardly it looks like it is in good shape, no rust obvious, but it has been sitting for close to 4 years. What should we be looking at on a rig that has been sitting on the lot so long? I have heard of "lot rot" but don't really know what we should be looking for, they said they'd give us all new tires, but what other things should be considered? The dealership is offering the same warranty it had when new. How much of a discount should we expect? Should we even be considering this rig?

I would expect a considerable discount from the new coach price. Check Family Motor Coach Magazine Classifieds for used coach prices for Newmar coaches. Match the year and model as closely as possible and see what is being asked for these coaches. You should expect a price that is above the used coaches but not by a large amount for the following reasons.

Now, I know that the mileage is essentially 0. That is the dealers main price point.

From your standpoint, you are buying 4 year old technology. What does that mean? Go look at some newer coaches, Newmar and others and see what the new coaches have. Make a list of things that this coach does not have. Look at leveling systems, driver display systems and instrumentation, appliances, video-TV-DVD (digital?), etc. Consider the engine in this model vs. engines in newer models. Check the operation of all the electronics.

Next, I would consider the fact that the exterior has been subject to the elements for four years. Look for sun fading on one side or the other. Is there evidence of cracking or damage to the clear coat or to stenciling or accessories like the mirrors. Examine the roof carefully. Get down on your knees and look under the air conditioners, look at the caulking and seals around antennas, fans, skylights, etc. Even if the caulking looks good, it is four years closer to leaking or needing replacement. Examine the general condition of the roof. Have the dealer pull the cover off the air conditioners.

Now look at the interior. The interior has been sitting for four years without heat or cooling. Look for mold, problems with de-lamination, fading of fabrics, etc. Operate the window shades to see if any of them hesitate or are out of adjustment. Look inside cabinets and under drawers to see if there is evidence of mold. Remember that all the fabrics and interior furnishings, wood, leather, plastic, rubber, etc. have been subjected to extremes of heat and cold for four years.

The coach was probably driven to the dealer so the engine and starting batteries have been run. Was the fuel tank stored full with diesel preservative? Has the oil been changed? All filters should be changed and belts should be replaced. The radiator should be flushed and the engine coolant should be replaced. I would ask that the starting batteries be replaced and check to see that the house batteries have not been activated with fluid added until purchase. If the house batteries already have fluid in them, they should also be replaced.

If the dealer doesn't want to do some of the above replacements, this would further discount the sales price of the coach. Yes, you'll find some of the problems under the warranty but you will also find lots of things that wear out sooner than would be expected on a new coach. For that reason I would expect a considerable discount. The normal new coach discount from sticker in 2006 would have been in the 15 to 20% range so when I say considerable, I am expecting quite a bit beyond what would have been offered to someone in 2006.

Keep in mind that the dealer has had this coach on inventory for four years. They have been paying interest and/or have had money tied up in this coach for four years. Their incentive for selling this coach is huge. You are in the drivers seat. Make sure you get a deal that you will feel good about when things start breaking down a few years before you think they should.

These are a few things I can think of to be considered. I'm sure others will have additional advice.

I'm glad this helped. I was hoping to see other suggestions from others on the forum. I think the recent outages of service have cost us some participation on the forum. Check back in a few weeks and see if someone else has checked in with some ideas.

I did notice that the Newmar 2011 models are out now so that makes your model 4 years old even if the in-service date is a little later this year.

We got them down to $229,995 from $310,615. But honestly, I don't think it is enough. I will say, while playing the numbers game, they did offer us 90,000 for our 2004 Adventurer. Which is $30,000 more than anyone else. But still, it is an older rig. I want it but my husband is holding back. Thanks again for your input and I will check back regularly!

I by no means am savy on what should be checked. However, I do know sales and that is only about 26% from MSRP. 30% would put you in the 217k ballpark. personally I would try for 30-33%. that is significantly better reduction in price. Like the TButler stated above you're in the drivers seat (all pun intended. haha!)

Just my .02 worth.

vic

Thank you! That would be a bit better, I was hoping for $200,000 but that could be asking too much, huh? We are not in a big rush, we are happy with our Adventurer, but my husband wants diesel, so we started looking because of all the rumored great deals out there. If it sells, it sells and we keep driving our rig for another season or until something falls in our lap! He has wanted a diesel this long, I am sure he'll wait!

We own a campground and can only travel in the winter and it is almost upon us! Despite common belief, not all campgrounds make a fortune, most of what we make goes back into the park so we NEED a bargain to get us to make the plunge~

I would suggest you list your RV and sell yourself, this takes the trade out of the equation and makes a clean negotiation whether it be a dealer or private party. Check your state's position on sales tax, some have exemptions if you buy from a private party saving you thousands. We sold ours using rvtrader.com in two weeks, do your research on the values of new or used coach's and list at or below to sell yours reasonably quick. Make sure to be absolutely honest with buyers and post pictures, be prepared to send more pictures if they ask and last but not least the most interested buyers will call you on the phone.

As deltadonnie stated try to sell your rig outright. The dealership is only giving you 90k on paper. That's NOT what you are really getting for it. My guess is considerably less. Where they will get you is in the financing and the service contracts. Try to get your own bank to finance and use the money from the sale of your rig for down money. Good luck!

Hi riverbendfun,

The previous posts provide the major items one should consider. My only addition is with the price.

1. Keep the new coach price separate from the trade value.

2. The price you'll pay is somewhat dependent on if Newmar is helping the dealer behind the scenes. You'll never know this, but it would not hurt to suggest the dealer contact Newmar so they can better understand any help or exposure the dealer may have.

3. To get the absolute best price the dealer needs a commitment from you. Consider making an offer, signing a sales contract (for the price you are willing to pay) and providing an appropriate deposit. For me, this is the only way I know to get a dealer's attention. The ball is in their court to accept the offer or reject it.

4. The sales contract should include all promises and agreements made by the dealer and understood by you. New tires, batteries, chassis servicing, etc.

5. The price you are willing to pay could easily be in the 40% off MSRP. Your figure of $200K is in no way unreasonable. I would start at $190K. After all, when you drive the coach off the lot, that is all it will be worth. Market value is market value, simple as that.

6. Make sure the floor plan is what you want. The floor plan will be remembered long after the low price has been paid.

If you make the purchase, consider the one of the first maintenance items to be to seal the roof. A good way to do this would be with EternaBond.