akadeadeye

Transmission Problems in Memphis

We are stuck in Memphis with a "Range Inhibit" light when I put it in gear and release the brakes. It will not go into gear. I get a 6N instead of a 61 to start out. Checked fuses.

Had our first tow to the shop. What an experience.

Can anyone suggest anything?

The transmission guys could not get it to do it for them, of course. I drove it back to an RV park for the night and it did it two more times after idling for a minute, then slipped into gear. It would not slip into gear at all before the tow.

Spartan Chassis

Allison 3000 Transmission

Don

Don,

Have you checked the transmission for diagnostic codes? Let us know if you don't have the Allison book that tells you how to do this and what the codes mean. This is easily done from the driver's seat with ignition on/engine off.

And if you your engine RPM is too high, the Allison will NOT go into gear. Verify that engine idle speed is not higher than normal.

Brett

Thanks Brett, you are always quick to respond.

When talking to the Spartan tech he had me press both up and down arrows to get a code and he said that it indicated a power problem to the transmission computer. The Allison techs here in Memphis don't seem to believe that but they are going to put a computer on it in the morning.

We have been at the Newmar plant for one year warranty check up, etc. and they did some work under the dash installing a cable for our radio. I am going to have them check just to be sure they didn't scrape or disconnect some wiring. That is probably where our computer is located since we cannot find it anywhere else. We have a mid-engine diesel and that seems to be out of the ordinary for these guys at Clarke Power Systems Detroit Diesel in Memphis.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

Don

Don,

If the Allison ECU is under the dash in the area they worked in, it would be a good idea to unplug and replug the two large gang plugs that connect to it. If loose, it could cause your problem.

There is a "push to release" tab in the center of each gang plug. Depress to release, then push it in hard enough that it clicks. While apart, look closely and verify that none of the pins are bent.

Brett