presh47

Control issues in wind

I have a 2010 Tiffin Phaeton which is my first motorhome after years in a 5th wheel. The motorhome is extremely difficult to handle in windy weather. Every passing truck makes the unit sway. The steering is not so affected on calm days but still is adjusted by passing trucks. I have seen others add anti-sway devices but am unsure if this is normal for my motorhome. Tire pressure is 110psi, was 120 from dealer. Ride is somewhat rough considering weight of vehicle.

Wow, I test drove an Allegro Bus at an FMCA Convention in 2010 and felt the same wandering. Tiffin makes a great product and the gentleman who owns them, Bob, has a great reputation. I talked to numerous RVers before we settled on our newer coach, and Tiffin owners have lots of good things to say.

Call the factory and discuss your concerns. They are the experts.

What chassis? I would start by making sure the chassis is set up properly:

1. Weigh the individual wheel positions (best) or axles and set tire pressure per your tire manufacturer's recommendations for your actual weights.

2. Check ride height.

3. If problem persists, next would be to check front end alignment, particularly caster. Set it to the high side of factory spec for better tracking.

Brett

Hi presh47,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. If after completing the items in the previous posts, you remain dissatisfied, post here again. There are after market devices that can help. I should know, I've installed about everything on the market.

Go to the Steer Safe Web site and check them out. It's a simple and very effective system. Inexpensive too!

I can go down the road in the wind and drive with one hand and a cup of coffee in the other------of course I don't do that all the time! I've driven as much as 500 miles in a day and haven't been tired. This is the 2nd rig I've installed it on