R_nilsen@msn.com

Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger Problems

We have a Freedom 458 series 12 volt 2000 watt inverter/charger P/N 81-2022-12 (SD 15/20). Single feed in, dual breakers out (one 15 and one 20amp). Heart Interface remote panel installed in hallway. A IOTA ITS-50R 50 Amp Power Switch in the basement (replaced 2 years ago) due to short. The batteries were replaced 3 years ago and all connections are good and clean. All this in our 2001 National RV Tradewinds LTC 7390 Motorhome. The 20 Amp side of the circuit handles the two TV's, the microwave, and a few other outlets. The 15 amp supplies lights and receptacles. We've lived full time in our motorhome since 2005 so the systems have had a lot of use. For quite some time now the power goes out on the 20 amp circuit only. We flip the inverter breakers off and back on and the power comes back on. The breakers in the coach never trip. Sometimes this occurs under a heavy load like the TV running and oven or microwave being turned on. Other times the power outage occurs when only one TV is on and nothing else. I've isolated the microwave and both tv's by unplugging them one at a time and found the outage can still occur in all three cases. Also sometimes the power will come back on after a short period of time without going out to reset the breakers. We don't use the diesel generator much but haven't noticed any power outages while using the generator. The inverter seems to be charging the batteries fine also. We had a power surge about 18 months ago and had to replace the little fuse inside the inverter cowling. I'm thinking about replacing the inverter with a new one (doesn't look too difficult). Was just wondering if someone knew of some circuit troubleshooting that should be done first. ***any ideas would be greatly appreciated as well as links to a good supplier of Xantrex inverters***

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Let me understand:

Only one (of the 2) circuits "fed by" the inverter is tripping out-- right? The other hot lead from the inverter doesn't exhibit this problem?

And this occurs only while on shore power or only when dry camping or both?

And the breaker you are resetting is the 120 VAC breaker in the main breaker panel that supplies (i.e. "in side") of the inverter?

BTW, Xantrex Technical Line: (800) 446-6180 or 408 987-6030.

Brett

Thanks for your reply Brett. Yes only one of the branch circuits fails, the breaker doesn't trip but the circuit goes out. By resetting "it" (the breaker on the side of the inverter) the power comes back on (it's like the contacts in the breaker itself are defective) and I don't know if you can replace those. The other branch circuit breaker seems fine and we haven't had any outages on that side of the motorhome. Also this happens when on shore power and hasn't happened while using the generator, not to say it won't, we just haven't been using the gen. much.

There could be some large capacitors (filter) that may be weak and need changing. The mfg can possibly get you a schematic and/parts list and you can determine if they are in the circuit. Just an idea. Good Luck, Gene

Thanks all for your support. I talked with Xantrex this morning and they're inclined to agree that the breaker is probably defective. They are sending me a new one today (no charge). That's great service!! Now, I'll have to remove the inverter, take off the cowling, and remove 2 circut boards and lots of wires to get to the breaker... guess I'll take lots of pictures and tag everything carefully during the process. I'll post the proceedure when finished (if successful...) thanks again...

Bob

Dear Bob,

It is so good they have kept this information available ( your notes dated Nov 08, 2010). We have a 2001 Tradewinds also coach number 7370 and have the same identical electrical problem. Since this is Saturday night, I guess we will have to wait until Monday to call Xantrex. I see no answer so we are wondering if replacing the breaker inside the Freedom inverter/charger fixed the problem?

My email is joanbassett36@yahoo.com I am brand new to this website and do not know how this works, but really need an answer.

Thank you.

Joan

Dear Brett,

Thank you for keeping this information available. We also have a 2001 Tradewinds motorhome and are having the same problems. Since I do not see any reply after he changed out the breaker in the inverter, I am wondering if that fixed the problem, if not I wonder how he fixed the problem?

Joan

I too am having the same issue with my freedom 458 series inverter/charger. Heart interface brand. All was fine when we left our rig one afternoon . We came back and tried to turn on the tv and not a lick of power. Did check All circuits . All breakers in rig were good. All fuses good. only have of the rig is hot. The 20 amp will not reset. I have the exact issue. Thanks for your input

This is on a Fleetwood discovery 2003

Edited by crosendaul
forgot to give unit.

The following information might prove helpful in finding technical help for the Freedom 458 series, Heart  series and newer Xantrex series inverter / chargers.

TROUBLESHOOTING AND INSTALLATION SUPPORT
Need technical information on our products? Need help with troubleshooting? Go to Xantrex.com
to access comprehensive resource of technical documents including FAQs, white papers, installation
manuals etc. These resources can help you diagnose and resolve majority of product related issues.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tech support team is just a call away if you cannot resolve your
problem using available information on the support pages.
• Hours of operation 6:30am-4:30pm PST, Monday-Friday
• Customer Service / Tech Support - 1-800-670-0707
or customerservice@xantrex.com 

Rich.