Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

The Long Ride (For me anyway)

Question

Guest Wayne77590

Wow! We started out today from Pensacola, FL and we started with a little over a quarter of a tank of fuel. I normally fill up before pulling into a CG, but sometimes I figure i'll just fill up when departing.

Well, I started looking imediately for a stop agreeable for a 40' with TOAD, and was expecting truck stops. Not wanting to go to far off the beaten path, we looked, and looked, and looked and when it was down to a quarter of a tank we REALLY looked. There were no truck stops. Okay! We'll settle for any diesel stop. We kept looking. Finally I saw a sign that said Diesel, and I could see the station from the off ramp. Great. It had been 2 hours since we left P'Cola, and about 100 miles.

I filled up at $2.499 and DW got us a Whataburger egg and sausage biscuit next door. I was happy to see a separate diesel fuel pump and did not have to go through the regular lines, although I could have made the swing (I think)

After putting 60 Gallons it (Guess I had enough for a few hundred more miles, huh?) it was another 30 miles down the hightway before we saw a trucker stop, Flying J at that.

So, if you are headed east on I-10 fill up before Pensacola or do as we did - search, search, and get lucky. It is 130 miles outside of Pensacola before you get to a truck stop.

We are situated at the Mayport Naval Station, Pelican Roost CG. This is a military installation so you have to be able to get aboard the base if you want to camp. We are in site 17 with the windshiled (picture window) looking at the mouth of the St. Johns River. We have already seen a few ships coming and going. We are staying here until Sunday, May 2.

It was a long ride, a little under 400 miles - that's long for me, but I was able to stay awake. I put it on cruise contral and got up and....never mind.

Drop in and say hi if in the area - or give me a shout and We'll meet somewhere out in town.

409-948-6843

6 answers to this question

Hey Wayne,

Ouch! :) Diesel at the Flying J at Quincy, I-10 Exit 192 was $2.279 (I checked the internet just now). When I get caught in this situation I'll put in enough fuel to get me 100 miles down the road rather than filling up at the higher price. Next time you are in the Flying J, pick up a brochure that gives the location of all their stations nationwide. My navigator :rolleyes: keeps it in her map pocket. We also have The Next Exit which will give you a full listing of restaurants, shopping and fuel stations at every exit on the entire Interstate Highway System. And there is the GPS as well. All good resources for finding what you need. At 22 cents a gallon you could have bought the book and had change to spare...

Sounds like a great campsite. Enjoy your stay. :D If your schedule is flexible, the Space Shuttle is scheduled to launch on May 11 with a second launch scheduled for May 20! I am hoping to see at least one if not two. We'll be headed to Florida soon. ;)

Guest Wayne77590

I don't think I'll make the shuttle launch on the 11th. I have some conflicts of interests on the 28th. It is my granddaughters birthday, and I have, repeat, have, to be in Galveston on that date. Most likely I'll leave Earlene parked somewhere in the MH and fly in and out of Houston. I do want to see a launch, so when is the next one after the 11th?

400 miles is plenty. Most travellers I end up talking to usually cover 250-300 miles per day. Sitting in that comfy captains chair with cruise control on does make the miles pass by.

Oh.oh, we now have your phone number. Come snow, sleet, rain, or the swine flu Linda and I plan to be in Texas next Feb.

Guest Wayne77590

Don,

Anyone with any searching capabilities and sleuth prowess, can find me in the white pages.

Call before you show up. I just might be at a campground near you!!!!

I don't think I'll make the shuttle launch on the 11th. I have some conflicts of interests on the 28th. It is my granddaughters birthday, and I have, repeat, have, to be in Galveston on that date. Most likely I'll leave Earlene parked somewhere in the MH and fly in and out of Houston. I do want to see a launch, so when is the next one after the 11th?

Wayne,

Then next launch after the 11th of May is May 20 if you believe NASA can get two shuttles off on that short a schedule. Personally I'm skeptical about that but they posted the schedule that way. If you want a full listing of the coming rocket and shuttle launches, go to http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html They update launch dates as delays change schedules so check frequently if you are planning to go for a launch.

The next two after the May 20 date are June 13 and August 6. The Shuttle program is winding down so if you haven't seen a launch yet, get to one soon.

Guest Wayne77590

Tom,

I do want to see one "in person," and DW wants to also.

I have seen them from Mission Control, does that count? Nope! Guess not, that is entirely a different scenario.