woodlodge

Winter Storage/Battery Maintenance

Does anyone disconnect the negative cable from the batteries for winter storage? We do this to our farm tractors that we don't use over the winter and they don't seem to drain out over the winter. Is this a good idea or not? If not, how often/long should I start and run the motorhome to keep the batteries charged? I don't know what type of batteries I have until I look tomorrow. I do know they are 12-volt and there are two house batteries and a coach battery and are new from the dealer I bought the coach from.

Along the same line, how long does it take and how often should I run the generator (Onan Gold series 5500) to charge the batteries when I am boondocking? I plan on taking in some NASCAR races this summer and think I will need to know this. Is it better to run the generator often for a little while or let the batteries drain and run the generator for a longer period to charge them back up fully? Or, just run the generator continuously? Did this make any sense?

Along the same line, how long does it take and how often should I run the generator (Onan Gold series 5500) to charge the batteries when I am boondocking? I plan on taking in some NASCAR races this summer and think I will need to know this. Is it better to run the generator often for a little while or let the batteries drain and run the generator for a longer period to charge them back up fully? Or, just run the generator continuously?

It is better for the batteries to NOT deeply discharge them-- discharging below 50% of capacity materially shortens battery life. So, from that standpoint, more frequent running of the generator is better. Most efficient use of the generator is to discharge to 50%, then recharge to 85%, discharge to 50%.... It takes as long to charge the last 15% as it does to charge from 50% to 85%. If boondocking long term, you do need to bring the batteries to full charge at least once a week.

Brett

Concerning winter storage of batteries, the best product ever invented is the battery tender. It keeps the batteries at a full charge without overcharging. I even run these units on my lawnmower battery. I'm sure other companies make these units also.

http://www.batterytender.com/?gclid=CPD7n_...CFUll7AodsiEvwg

Look at the technical charts on thier website or call them.

http://batterytender.com/resources/connect...es-chargers.htm

Obviously, the use of a battery charger/tender requires that you have 120 VAC shore power where you store the coach. And if so, as long as the batteries are charged when you put it in storage, a small charger/tender should keep all the batteries on that battery bank charged.

BUT, if you have a smart charger or inverter/charger AND IT IS PROPERLY PROGRAMMED, it will do the same thing.

You will have to verify that your coach is wired so that the chassis battery bank is also charged or make arrangements so that the chassis batteries are maintained as well.

Brett

Guest BillAdams

The best Winter battery storage plan is to fully charge the batteries and then remove them and store in a location that will not freeze. When warmer weather approaches you can reinstall the batteries, get them back up to a full charge and use them as you always have.

i do have access to 120v in my storage. i assume i have an inverter/charger as my batteries recharge when i have it hooked to shore power but i have read somewhere (probably on this forum) that i shouldn't leave the mh plugged in all winter. i was planning on doing this until i read the post somewhere. i do start the mh and the generator 1 or 2 times a month but don't actually drive anywhere. i let them run for 5 to 10 minutes. is this good and is that long enough to let them run. will that be sufficient to keep the batteries topped off?

It is OK to stay plugged in all winter. You should verify if you have an inverter/charger. If you do, the charger will keep a "float charge" on your batteries constantly. Be sure the charger is turned on. However, the constant charging may deplete the electrolyte in your wet battery cells over time (probably house batteries) so you should mark on your calendar to check the water level in your batteries at least once a month. I have an alert set on my iPhone for the first of every month to do just that.

Don