ki4nai

Caterpillar Shut Down At Tranny Temp Of 208 degrees

My Dutchstar FL with 350 cat has a total power/engine shutdown when the tranny temp reaches 208 degrees.

I was able to pinpoint the cause/when by use of silverleaf.

The last time, I just unplugged the electric to the fan so that it would run fulltime, and the temp when right down to 155 degrees and stayed there.

The engine temp was 180 degrees. Anyone have a clue as to what is happening....

FYI, we are about 75 miles from a F.L. service center.

ths

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I am not aware of any transmission temperature issue that could cause the engine ECM to shut down the engine.

Best advice is to take the coach is to any Caterpillar dealer who can then download the stored fault codes in the ECM-- far better than our speculation.

To find the closest Caterpillar dealer: http://www.cat.com/dealer-locator

Click on "On Highway" (since you are not driving a bulldozer, diesel electric train or tug boat).

Brett

Thanks, The tranny temp normally runs about 190 to 200. Had been having end of day shut down problem ever so offen. Just 1 more question, (I think). Will it hurt anything other than mileage to leave the fan on Fulltime, till I can get it in the shop. We leaving 1/20 to head further south from North Florida and not seeing a shop on our route till we get further south.

tks

Without knowing the actual cause of the shutdown (again, doubt it is just transmission temperature), there is no way for us to know if other damage is occurring by continuing to drive it.

But in answer to your fan question, no problem running it on high-- just loss of HP and MPG to keep the fan speed on high.

Surprised you found an area of Florida with no Caterpillar dealer on your route. It should only take them a few minutes to download the codes.

Brett

Sorry guys, not forgotten about the questions. Yes Silverleaf did give the error codes, BUT, for the funny part. The computer that is used for Silver is under the Christmas tree being used as a stand, so as soon as I can un-tree it, I'll get the codes...

I've managed to find a Cat shop to stop by on my way south. Just leaving a day early to do so...

Thanks again for all your help and I'll provide the codes as soon as I can.

Marty

Hope this info helps, as it is from Silverleaf

SRC TPE ID MD COMPONENT MODE MM/DD/YY HH:MM

=============================================================================

ENG PID 43 2 Ignition Switch Status Invalid Data 9/23/10 19:10

ENG PID 43 2 Ignition Switch Status Invalid Data 9/24/10 13:54

ENG PID 184 0 Instantaneous Fuel Economy High Reading 10/10/10 9:40

ENG SID 440 8 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Frequency Error 10/10/10 12:25

ENG PID 43 2 Ignition Switch Status Invalid Data 10/27/10 18:42

ENG PID 43 2 Ignition Switch Status Invalid Data 10/28/10 11:47

Total shut down at tranny temp of 208 degrees

Thanks for your help, hard problem to pinpoint but easy fix.

Replaced the 2 heavy duty 120 volt breakers on the right rear rail in front of the rear tire. After replacement, are problems were fixed.

marty

Okay, per HWE, Newmar changed the breaker to 88 volt around the late 90's. With this change it caused the issue that I had spoke of before. I replaced 1 of the 120 heavy duty breakers (as called by Freightliner). While replacing the 1 breaker, they advised that there was a second heavy duty breaker that was installed by Newmar (Freightliner was unsure as to what it was for and refused to take ownership) While I had the MH in the shop for a alternator replacement, they found that everytime they pressed the brakes or caused any electrical draw the engine would shut down. After 10 hours of shop time and me pointing towards the breaker. They found that the breaker would trip on any draw, but when by-passed there was no shutdown. After replacing the breaker, I've had no problems with a shut down. So, I'm addressing it, as it was relayed to me. And yes Wolfe, I'm asking the same them.

Marty,

What both Rich and I are suggesting is that this is a 12 VDC high-amp breaker. Nothing to do with the 120 VAC system.

Glad you found the culprit. Sounds like you are back on the road--excellent.