smalexander

Brake Away System Test

Happy New Year!

I have a Roadmaster Proportionate braking system.

To test the brakeaway system do I just fill the air reservoir and pull the breakaway pin? How much force should it take to pull the pin?

Is there any problem re-inserting the pin? Is it difficult to push it back in?

How frequently should the system be tested? Every trip day or ?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

I can answer the question about the force to pull the pin. It should be an easy finger pull. The pin won't come out though in a real situation, the pin would likely be torn from its encasement. Just push it back in place and it is ready to go. It is essential that you test the installation once it is complete. I had a friend who had this system and there was a faulty valve somewhere in the system. He pulled the pin and the brake cylinder didn't budge, no brake. That was repaired quickly but it would have meant that unit would not have functioned in an emergency.

Note also if the pin assembly is mounted properly. The installation instructions specify that it should not be mounted to plastic materials such as a license plate frame - which is exactly where they mounted mine at the shop that did the install. I had that relocated before I left the shop.

I wouldn't test this too frequently. Check with Roadmaster. It is a part that should be easily replaced if it wears out. Still I only check mine several times a year.

I can answer the question about the force to pull the pin. It should be an easy finger pull. The pin won't come out though in a real situation, the pin would likely be torn from its encasement. Just push it back in place and it is ready to go. It is essential that you test the installation once it is complete. I had a friend who had this system and there was a faulty valve somewhere in the system. He pulled the pin and the brake cylinder didn't budge, no brake. That was repaired quickly but it would have meant that unit would not have functioned in an emergency.

Note also if the pin assembly is mounted properly. The installation instructions specify that it should not be mounted to plastic materials such as a license plate frame - which is exactly where they mounted mine at the shop that did the install. I had that relocated before I left the shop.

I wouldn't test this too frequently. Check with Roadmaster. It is a part that should be easily replaced if it wears out. Still I only check mine several times a year.

Thank you for the information. Happy New Year.

I always wonder if applying or locking up the brakes on a vehicle that breaks away is a good idea. Wouldn't the vehicle be just as likely to skid into oncoming traffic with the brakes applied? Don't get me wrong, I have a breakaway system but I always wonder. My solution is to always be very careful to ensure that the tow bar and safety cables are always, always checked and rechecked.