tupelo

Norcold Refrigerator

I have a 2009 Model 1210 Norcold 4 door refrigerator that doesn't get cold.

It runs on both gas & electric & doesn't show any faults.

The freezer section only get to about 34 degrees & the refrigerator only gets to about 52 regardless of the temp settings.

Any ideas what I might need to do ?

First, is this a new problem or has it always done this?

Is this installed in a slide (therefore upper air exit on the side) or in the coach (roof upper air exit)?

Have you checked for any obstruction at the top of the refrigerator/roof or upper air outlet? I have seen bird or rodent nests cause this.

Brett

My refrig is on the slide out with a upper vent which is clear. The problem just started last week (not getting cold ) I looked down through the top vent & it is clear with both fans running.

My refrig is on the slide out with a upper vent which is clear. The problem just started last week (not getting cold ) I looked down through the top vent & it is clear with both fans running.

Have you had any of the Norcold recall repairs done?

Don

Tupelo,

Here are a few additional ideas:

1. Check the door seals using the "dollar bill" test. Maybe one of the doors got bumped out of alignment and is not sealing.

2. Is there anything obstructing the air flow into, through, or out of the unit? Take a careful look at each area for debris, obstructions, or broken/disconnected items.

3. Since it's not working on either gas or electric, the burner is probably not the trouble. However, you still might want to check and make sure the heat source is operating and adjusted correctly.

4. Was the unit operated well out of level recently? If so, there may be internal problems or deposits clogging the tubes.

By the way, did this problem come on suddenly or gradually?

Good luck,

Tim

I have a 2009 Model 1210 Norcold 4 door refrigerator that doesn't get cold.

It runs on both gas & electric & doesn't show any faults.

The freezer section only get to about 34 degrees & the refrigerator only gets to about 52 regardless of the temp settings.

Any ideas what I might need to do ?

Tupelo:

Your problem could be a combination of issues. Gas absorption refrigerators require to be leveled with-in 3 deg otherwise you will damage the cooling unit. This damage is cumulative and non-reversible. What happens is the coolant (ammonia/water vapor) will collect in the return tubing and solidify and over time block the cooling tubing. Since your situation was just noticed it maybe the first signs of a cooling unit blockage. Other considerations are outside temperature changes and the installation. I had a similar situation with a Norcold in the slide. In my case the solution was to remove the unit and reinstall using Norcolds very specific dimensional requirements. If you go to the Norcold installation guide they have specific clearance requirements for both a slide and fixed wall installation. OEM's are bad about not following these guides. If your unit is still under the Norcold warranty I would contact a servicing dealer.

Tupelo,

Shields has a good list of checks, particularly the door seal issue. When you looked into the top vent was the cooling unit condenser clean and clear of debris? Also could you feel the air movement from the two fans? The fans won't come on unless the outdoor temp is fairly high. Have you had a week of hot weather?

"It runs on both gas & electric & doesn't show any faults" But for a fixed temperature setting on the panel, does it cool better in either gas or electric mode of several hours?

What range is the temperature set on the eyebrow panel?

Even though the refer is relatively new you may have a defective thermistor on the cooling fins. It's easier to test on a Norcold than a Dometic.

Speaking of cooling fins, do you have a lot of ice on them that covers the gap between fins?

And as noted, keeping the refer level when not on motion is critical for long term cooling efficiency. Unless it is turned off.