tmoning

Driver licensing - S.C. and other states

FMCA recently received the following e-mail from Lawrence R. Babb, of South Carolina, concerning drivers license requirements.

I am sending you this email to share my concern that a number of FMCA members may be operating their motorhomes illegally – they wrongfully assume their normal auto drivers licenses are adequate for motorhome use.

Reference is made to the article Texas Drivers License Requirements in the April 2009 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine. I think FMCA would provide members a great service if that article were expanded to cover the license requirements for all states, for reasons shown below.

I have been an FMCA member for five years. During that time I have driven my motorhome 60,000 miles through 46 states and eight Canadian provinces. I just discovered that all that travel was done using an unauthorized class of driver’s license – a normal auto class driver’s license (Class D). I only learned of my license shortfall while recently perusing another website – a fellow South Carolinian was complaining about the test that he had taken to obtain his license.

Similar to Texas, South Carolina law requires that vehicle operators driving vehicles whose GVWR rating exceeds 26,000 pounds (includes most diesel rigs) to possess either a class E or class F (noncommercial heavy truck) operators license. The class F license is required to tow another vehicle (toad) behind a motorhome whose GVWR exceeds 26,000 pounds.

According to information received from the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, I can expect at least two unpleasant results if I gain the attention of the authorities while driving my motorhome using my auto drivers license:

- The annoyance of receiving a traffic violation ticket from law enforcement officials.

- Denial of coverage/responsibility by my insurance company if I become involved in an accident. My insurance company can be expected to deny coverage on the basis that I was an unlicensed driver. I was not licensed by my state to operate the class of vehicle I was driving. Loss of insurance coverage could result in total financial disaster.

I did a very quick Internet survey of neighboring state motor vehicle departments to ascertain what their requirements were. I found that NC has similar requirements as SC (and TX). VA, GA, and FL do not appear to have any such requirements. I also shocked my neighbor just before he left on a motor home trip – he had no idea that South Carolina requires him to have a class F license.

In summary, I think it is possible that dozens of FMCA members may be blissfully operating their motorhomes without having the necessary operators licenses. If even one member loses insurance coverage in an accident because of having an improper operator’s license, that is one too many. None of us need unexpected financial disasters.

Sincerely

Lawrence R. Babb

F342790

I investigated this subject carefully before we selected South Dakota as a home state. Still, I wanted further clarification just to make sure I was fully legal. The way that I read this reply suggests that those who are work campers may want to contact an attorney if registered in South Dakota or other states. I would think this would be especially true if you deduct any of your RV Expenses on your Federal Form 1040 as a business expense.

Be sure to give them all pertinent information. They may assume the weight of the motor home or assume that it is purely recreational. The reply you get may not be correct if you haven't given all the information you think might be related to this decision. As you can see, I filed this information away for future reference.

Here is the reply I got by to my query, which is below the reply:

Thank you for your correspondence. You are not required to have a commercial license to drive the motor home, as long as you use it for recreational purposes only.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Jenni

Driver Licensing

800-952-3696

-----Original Message-----

Posted At: Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:23 PM

Posted To: DPS Licensing Info

Conversation: Clarification of Driver Licensing for Driving a Recreational Vehicle

Subject: Clarification of Driver Licensing for Driving a Recreational Vehicle

I can find no specific reference to driving a recreational vehicle in the drivers licensing information. I inquired verbally when obtaining my SD drivers license in 2001 but since then have taken a safety course in which they advised us to ask specifically about our specific situation. My wife and I drive a Monaco Windsor Motor Home, GVWR of 37,600 pounds and a GCWR of 47,600 pounds. This is a diesel powered motor home with air brakes. This is not a commercial vehicle. When we inquired in 2001 we were told that a regular drivers license would be sufficient for driving our motor home. We did not specify the GVWR or GCWR at the time we asked the question. Is this information correct or should I obtain a commercial drivers license to legally drive my motor home? My license is up for renewal in August 2006 and I plan to renew in April before leaving for Alaska for the summer so need clarification on this issue.

Thank you,

Tom Butler

Guest Wayne77590

It is unfortunate that the clerks that reply do not always have the correct information, and ignorance of the law is no excuse, so I'm told. A TX DOT clerke responded to a friend who asked that question and the reply was similar, but as noted, TX does require special licensing, as stated previously.

Check you states regulations very closely, and communicate with a licensing inspector/officer.

Here in Canada it varies by Province as well. I lived in Manitoba and there you need to upgrade your license for everyting with a compined weight over 10,500lb (truck + trailer). No matter if it is comercial or not.

I now live in Alberta. I have a class 5 and at the back of my licence it states "two axle motorvehicle and RV's". Meaning no matter what it is, or how heavy it is, or how many axles it got, if it classifies as an RV, I will be good.

In NYS you are required to have a "R" designation on your license if your coach is over 26,000 LBS. There is no written test but you are required to take a road test which consists of 3 right turns, 3 left turns and parallel park. You must get a R designation permit from DMV to take the test.

As a general rule Whatever the law in your home state is what you are governed by.

Paul DuBois

Guest Wayne77590

Paul is correct. Whatever your state license is good for you to drive in your state is good in any other state.

Reciprocal agreement between states.

Lawrence,

Thanks for the data. Good info. I would have expected the insurance company to refuse coverage if they have the right to not cover you in a accident. Did they not ask what type of license you posessed when you applied for insurance? Mine did so.

Rodney

F409103

FMCA recently received the following e-mail from Lawrence R. Babb, of South Carolina, concerning drivers license requirements.

I am sending you this email to share my concern that a number of FMCA members may be operating their motorhomes illegally -- they wrongfully assume their normal auto drivers licenses are adequate for motorhome use.

Reference is made to the article Texas Drivers License Requirements in the April 2009 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine. I think FMCA would provide members a great service if that article were expanded to cover the license requirements for all states, for reasons shown below.

I have been an FMCA member for five years. During that time I have driven my motorhome 60,000 miles through 46 states and eight Canadian provinces. I just discovered that all that travel was done using an unauthorized class of driver's license -a normal auto class driver's license (Class D). I only learned of my license shortfall while recently perusing another website -- fellow South Carolinian was complaining about the test that he had taken to obtain his license.

Similar to Texas, South Carolina law requires that vehicle operators driving vehicles whose GVWR rating exceeds 26,000 pounds (includes most diesel rigs) to possess either a class E or class F (noncommercial heavy truck) operators license. The class F license is required to tow another vehicle (toad) behind a motorhome whose GVWR exceeds 26,000 pounds.

According to information received from the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, I can expect at least two unpleasant results if I gain the attention of the authorities while driving my motorhome using my auto drivers license:

- The annoyance of receiving a traffic violation ticket from law enforcement officials.

- Denial of coverage/responsibility by my insurance company if I become involved in an accident. My insurance company can be expected to deny coverage on the basis that I was an unlicensed driver. I was not licensed by my state to operate the class of vehicle I was driving. Loss of insurance coverage could result in total financial disaster.

I did a very quick Internet survey of neighboring state motor vehicle departments to ascertain what their requirements were. I found that NC has similar requirements as SC (and TX). VA, GA, and FL do not appear to have any such requirements. I also shocked my neighbor just before he left on a motor home trip -- he had no idea that South Carolina requires him to have a class F license.

In summary, I think it is possible that dozens of FMCA members may be blissfully operating their motorhomes without having the necessary operators licenses. If even one member loses insurance coverage in an accident because of having an improper operators license, that is one too many. None of us need unexpected financial disasters.

Sincerely

Lawrence R. Babb

F342790

Be aware that the residence requirements have all changed as of January 2009. As an example, Florida requires a utility bill with your address on it or some other mail (not bulk) proof of your current residency in order to apply or renew your license.

We have had a Florida license since 1991 with our mail forwarding address; we also voted from this address. But when we renewed this August 2009 we were required to have a photo ID, proof of citizenship (birth certificate or valid passport), former Florida license, and a utility bill in our name. We saw several persons refused licenses because of no utility bill. Some of our friends who had registered in Oregon for 20 years had the same problem.

We haven't run into the utility bill requirement yet. I don't know if South Dakota is requiring this. Guess I'll have to print out the electronic bill I get on the internet for my cell phone or satellite TV bill. These have my SD address on them. Perhaps I'll have to request a bill be mailed to me so it will be on the "official" paper. Ironic isn't it? We finally get to the point where we can eliminate paper billing and now we need it to get drivers licenses.

If anyone getting a South Dakota license this year has some feedback and/or suggestions for meeting any SD requirements, please post your experience to help the rest of us be prepared.

Guest Wayne77590

I posted this in another thread. Keeping it simple, here it is again.

RV License

Keep in mind that Homeland Security is requiring that all license renewals be accompanied by two forms of identification, one being a picture ID, and be other than the previous drivers license.

Also, on the link above, it is only a reference, but it should give you enough information to bring to your licensing authority and ask questions. When I asked questions I was told that a Class A or B was not required. Since I had a Commercial Drivers License which i was trading in for a Class A license (different story - i don't drive commercially anymore) I was familiar with the laws. I started a page pointing discussion with the clerk who grabbed a passing inspector and we cleared it up that I would need at least a Class B for my configuration. I opted for Class A since I had a Class A CDL.

Now, whether your state requires you to have a special license or not, I urge each and everyone of you to pick up the CDL handbook, and while you are sitting around watching tv, read the book. You will gain a lot of useful (and some un-useful) information. Do you have air brakes? What are slack adjusters? Do you know how to adjust them should the need arise in an emergency situation? Do you even know what to look for? The Texas CDL Handbook explains slack adjusters. There is a lot of information that can be gained just by reading, and of course understanding, the manual.

Happy trails.

We just got notification from our mailing service in South Dakota that we would be required to provide proof of citizenship, documentation of social security number and several bills with our address on them to renew our drivers license next time. So South Dakota is falling in line with other states, complying with the Department of Homeland Security requirements. If you have a South Dakota drivers license, you should be aware of this new requirement and take steps to meet it before you go in to renew your drivers license. The official communication is from the South Dakota Driver Licensing Program Office.

I have done some research on the Texas RV license requirement and I beleive we have received some bad information. In Texas licensing requirements Part no 383 does state that operating a vehicle over 26000 lbs requires a class B, but TRC 522.004 excludes recreational vehicles for personal use.