bairman

Montana Sites, Campgrounds

Question

We will be traveling from Phx to the Black Hills via NM and Colorado and then want to go to Montana. We have been to Yellowstone so we thought we would go to Glacier National Park. Any suggestions on what to see and where to stay while there and on the way would be helpful. We will be traveling in a 40 ft pusher with slides.

7 answers to this question

Apgar Campground, Lake McDonald (west side) has the largest sites with 25 40'sites. St. Marys on the east side is limited to 35' but we've always been able to fit our 39' into several spots.

The temps on the east side generally run 10* lower then the west side (both air and lake). We prefer the west side for proximity to West Glacier, Kalispell, etc.

Going to the Sun Highway is a Must if you have a Toad.

Flathead Lake is another Must.

Enjoy your visit.

I agree on "Going to the Sun Road". Absolutley breathtaking views! It's amazing when you consider this highway is built on the side of a mountain.

Thanks for the tips. I will look them up and try and make some reservations. Is this some place we could stay for a week and enjoy?

We will be at Apgar around 5/20. If we can offer any further help feel free to ask. I believe the KOA in West Glacier has a website that covers a lot of Glacier Park activities. There's more to do then can be done in one week.

Again thanks for the information. I tried to locate Apgar but didn't have any luck. Is this a state park? I have been looking at the Columbia Falls area for RV parks, but not sure if that is west or east side. I will check out West Glacier to see what they have. As we have never been to MT not sure what to do or see, but could easily stay for two weeks if enough to do (don't need to go everyday). MY wife has limited mobility with two hip and one knee replacements in the last two years, so hiking is not in the picture, just short walks. Somebody else had recommended Anaconda so I am starting to check that out today. Also need to check out routes from Rapid City SD to Glacier that wont be all Interstate, but can still handle a 40' with toad. Our plans are to be up in MT in late July to early August.

We will be at Apgar around 5/20. If we can offer any further help feel free to ask. I believe the KOA in West Glacier has a website that covers a lot of Glacier Park activities. There's more to do then can be done in one week.

Please see my attachment below. Didn't know I could add right to yours. Thanks.