Davanne

Towing A Newer Honda Civic

I have a new Honda Civic EX sedan 2012 with an automatic trans. Anybody tow one of these newer Civics ? I have been towing my 2001 Honda Civic for ten years with no problems. Wondering about towing the 2012 Civic ?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Since the 2012 Civic is a brand new generation of Civic, the best advice is to look in your owners manual.

The previous series Civic was not towable four wheels down-- only the CRV and Fit were towable per Honda.

I would NOT take the word of a salesperson or even service person at a dealership-- they are not the ones who would stand behind your new car if towing caused damage.

The other option would be to e-mail/contact Honda and ask them to confirm in writing whether it can be towed four wheels down.

Brett

Davanne: you mentioned you had towed a 2001 Honda Civic for 10 years with no problems. Is your 2001 Civic automatic? Can you share what you did to the Civic before, during and after towing? I am contemplating towing a 2001 Civic with automatic transmission 4 wheels down.

Billbeat80...I too have been towing a 2001 Honda Civic EX since buying it new. The only precaution I did, before traveling, was to make sure I engaged each FORWARD gear for a couple of minutes each with the engine running. Make sure the emergency brake is tight during this process. After oiling up each forward gear place the shifter into NEUTRAL for traveling. If you don't release the parking brake all the way down you'll burn up the entire brake system on the axle. Believe me I did it only once. Having a toad check list would help remind you of the proper sequence of towing.

Set the parking brake

Start the engine

Shift gear lever into D, after a couple of minutes

Shift gear lever into 2, after a couple of minutes

Shift gear lever into 1, after a couple of minutes

Shift gear lever into NEUTRAL

Release Parking brake

Turn off engine, don't pull the key out

Check Steering wheel to make sure it isn't locked

Enjoy the tow

One time in Oregon we were sighting seeing and the transmission bailed on us. Had to have a whole rebuild on it. The repair shop said it was not a result of towing but it just happened.

Mandy Canales

Apple Valley, CA

The drive train on the newer Civic is so close to identical with the CRV that most likely it could be towed 4 down. The problem is that Honda says they will not honor the warranty if the Civic is towed in more than emergency situations. Chances are you would never have a problem but do you want to battle Honda if something did go wrong? Honda has a CYA clause in their manuals about towing models other than the CRV and Fit.

The drive train on the newer Civic is so close to identical with the CRV that most likely it could be towed 4 down. The problem is that Honda says they will not honor the warranty if the Civic is towed in more than emergency situations. Chances are you would never have a problem but do you want to battle Honda if something did go wrong? Honda has a CYA clause in their manuals about towing models other than the CRV and Fit.

The key words are "most likely." That would be a gamble I'm not willing to take.