allanp

Longmont CO To Estes Park CO

Question

We're planning a September trip from our home in Alabama to Estes Park CO in our 38' Coachmen Destiny and I'm a bit concerned about handling the descending grade on the return from Estes Park to Longmont in Colorado. Will the 6 SP Allison with 275 HP Cummins have adequate holding for a typical downhill grade in that area? We don't have an exhaust brake and I've not a lot of experience with this coach other than practicing downshifting on local down grades. It seems to hold pretty well going downhill on a bridge crossing the Mobile river with a fairly steep, albeit short, downgrade. An alternative could be to park the coach in Longmont and use the car for the final pitch.

2 answers to this question

I have traveled US-36 up the mountains from Longmont to Estes Park and down from Estes Park to Longmont. I suggest that the better route would be US-34 from Estes Park to Loveland. US-34 is the better route with a wider road and more pullouts. Use as low a gear as needed to minimize using your brakes, pullout often, and don't get distracted with the scenery.

As a mechanical note, if you have hydraulic brakes rather than pure air brakes, change the brake fluid. New brake fluid boils around 500 degrees F. As it absorbs water to protect the metal components of the brake system the boiling point drops to 286 degrees F. Particularly for mountain driving, you want new fluid!

Brett