penpails

1994 Monaco Dynasty

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and hopefully soon to the RV family. I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1994 Monaco Dynasty (diesel) which seems to have a wiring/electrical problem.

It's been on a non-op for six years. It had started just fine a couple weeks ago, however now it's having a problem starting off the ignition switch but starting just fine off the switch in the back on the engine.

The current owner prefers to sell it only if we can get it running which I agree is the best scenario. I have a couple friends looking into this with me and they feel we need the wiring schematics to figure this out.

So, does anyone have a suggestion where to get this?

Thanks to all and hope to hear something back soon.

Sorry, can't help with the wiring schematic, but a reasonably high failure rate item that can cause this is the ignition (not starter) solenoid.

The load from all things that only run when the ignition is on with a DP is too high to run through the ignition switch. So, the ignition switch is only used to close the ignition solenoid/relay.

So first thing I would do is see if other things such as dash HVAC fan that generally are wired to work with the ignition on work. If not, find the solenoid and check and/or bypass it.

Brett

We owned a used 1994 Dynasty for three years before we traded for our current coach in 2003. It was a good coach and convinced us to purchase another Monaco product. I would encourage the current owner or you to contact Monaco RV LLC, 877-466-6226. They have all the records for all Monaco, HR, Safari, Beaver and related products. The technical staff has always been most helpful. You may not get a wiring diagram but the tech should be able to help you with your problem and be able to direct you where to find the faulty unit. In addition, they can identify the part number, manufacturer and where you can get replacement parts. They saved our bacon many times in dealing with "alterations" the first two owners had made in the wiring of our Dynasty. You will need to have the coach number (a six digit number on the end of the Mfg. number) in order for them to look up specific information on your coach. Be ready to discuss some of the diagnostics Brett has given above when you call. The more information you can supply, the better the diagnosis you will get.

I'm going to throw some information out but first I'm going to offer a disclaimer. AC electrical current is my background and I am not a DC or automotive mechanic. That said, there is a couple of things I would do first to any vehicle which has been in storage for awhile. Get a can of LPS 1 and spray any electrical connection you can see or believe is there (behind something). LPS1 will not harm plastic or rubber (its a vegetable compound) but do NOT use WD40 (which is good for a lot of things but not this). The LPS will displace and moisture which may be shorting your electrical system.

Disassemble your ground connections, clean and reassemble, then spray them down with LPS1.

Look for any spots which may have been chewed by rodents.

Let us know what you did to find your problem and what the final solution was. We can all learn from your experience.

Ward

Penpails,

Welcome to the Forum.

One thing, if you have nothing with the key on you may have the 12v solenoid out. I think Brett mentioned this. I had it go out on my 92 Windsor. Got the part at Auto Zone. As Tom said, call Monaco tech dept. they will be more then happy to help.

If you do purchase the coach be sure and register it with Monaco. They will keep you up on any recalls. You will really enjoy your Dynasty.

If you haven't joined FMCA please do as soon as you purchase the coach.

Good luck, B)

Penpail,

I currently own a 94 Dynasty which I love to death! I have pages and pages of original schematics. Email me at jw@openminds.net if you need something and we'll make sure you get it.